What's new

Dtcs 11-10 Driver front airbag 1, open circuit or high resistance - solved

Nameuser

Reaction score
Car
2.2 ctdi ex tourer07
Hi there,

After having spent a couple nights in the past year on finding the fault in my SRS, finally i managed. I thought, it might be worth posting the solution here, in case someone is having the same issue.

SOLUTION in my case: reconnecting lose connection on the airbag cable harness behind the glove compartment. MAKE SURE that you disconnect the battery, wait 5mins and beep the horn or switch the lights on (to get rid of any residual current) before start fiddling with the airbag.

Story:
So, i had a recall letter regarding the airbag inflator. I took my 2005 2.0 i-Vtec Tourer EX to the "local" honda garage and had the inflator swap done. After a few weeks, the airbag warning light came on and it went after a restart. At that time i couldn't take it back to the dealer, i needed the car constantly.

Symptom:
The airbag warning light kept coming back whilst driving and stayed on for longer periods even after restart. I have noticed, the light came on usually after i drove into a pothole on the near side in dry weather. Whenever it was wet outside it took much longer or needed a proper shock (massive pothole) for the light to come on. After a few months it just stayed on permanently.

Fault finding:
As a start, i hooked the car up to my delphi obd which returned the following fault code: Dtcs 11-10 Driver front airbag 1, open circuit or high resistance. I was convinced there was a loose connection somewhere on the outside the car as it was clearly affected by the humidity. I checked the fuses, disconnected, cleaned all the external connectors and nothing happened. As the fault code suggested the issue was on the driver's side, i continued my search inside the car on the driver's side.. checked the connectors under the panels, took out the inflator, took apart the clock spring and measured the resistance on each wire.. I found a manual about replacing the inflator where they mentioned the 07SAZ-TB4011A and the 070AZ-SNAA100 tools. These during testing would connect to the cable harness behind the glove compartment. So i moved on to that harness only to see the obvious, the connectors were partially apart. Pushed them together (whilst the battery was disconnected) and then the issue was gone. Tested on the same road for a few weeks and it is still fine.