What's new

E10 vs E5/Super petrol fuel economy

MrMwa

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi. I've noticed alot of people have been complaining about the new E10 petrol, mostly saying that they are get less mpg.

Personally I have noticed no difference at all between E10 or E5, in fact I had the best economy ever in December. I filled up full tank of E10 at BP, about 80% motorway driving and about 20% city. Travelling at the speed limit, I achieved 438 miles before the fuel light came on, Worked out at around 38mpg!

Best I ever got on E5 was about 380 miles and that was driving behind trucks on the motorway.

Also noticed BP gives slightly better mpg than Shell E5 and E10.

Car is is 2.4 manual saloon, reflash, sergebo headers and HFC.

I wanted to know if anyone has had any issues with E10? Is it really that bad?

Last edited:
E10 has been sold here for decades and is the most popular fuel for most. We've never had E5, even though all petrol has a small amount of added alcohol to soak up and transport water through the fuel delivery and ultimately the combustion process so water will not build up in fuel systems.

E10 is fine as long as you constantly use it. It is not good for vehicles that only get used occasionally and aren't kept filled up. If you leave a tank of E10 half full, the alcohol will continuously pull water out of the air left in the tank and if the inside of the tank is bare steel, starts corroding the inside of the tank. You end up with rust particles clogging filters and even making it past paper type filters as very fine particles. If you burn through a tank a week that will not happen. E10 is of course slightly less energy dense than non-ethanol added fuels, however because it is cheaper, the price per Km works out about the same. People will always head for the cheapest pump. E10 has been sold here for so long the last time Australians drove with 100% petrol they were driving much less efficient cars.

E10 was mainly introduced to get a biofuel industry started by giving it a guaranteed income. E85 is also sold here but there are very few petrol stations that sell it. The only people I know that use it either race or have extremely tuned engines.