What's new

Earthing Point for Dash Cam

Jamie91

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 iCDTI Saloon
Hi chaps. Very rarely post on here because the Accord is so reliable :)

I bought a dashcam after someone reversed into my other car recently.

It's a nextbase, and I have managed to feed it into the headliner and A pillar nicely... found a fuse to piggy back off in the cuboard by the drivers window

I'm stuck with how to earth the fuse though. It has 2 prongs on it and I can see a bolt on the fusebox

Am I supposed to unscrew the bolt, put the prongs under and then tighten the bolt on top?

https://ibb.co/nBMR8x

https://ibb.co/bN44Tx

earthing_point_accord.jpg

earthing_dashcam.jpg

***uming that bolt is into metal it ought to work. If you have one, a multimeter will tell you.
If it's into another piece of plastic it won't. You might need to find an alternative earth in that case, or drill the body and fit a self tapper in some hidden spot (may sure of what is on the other side of anything you take the drill to though!).
If the fork terminal supplied doesn't suit, chop it off and it a ring terminal or something that does.

Matt said:
***uming that bolt is into metal it ought to work. If you have one, a multimeter will tell you.
If it's into another piece of plastic it won't. You might need to find an alternative earth in that case, or drill the body and fit a self tapper in some hidden spot (may sure of what is on the other side of anything you take the drill to though!).
If the fork terminal supplied doesn't suit, chop it off and it a ring terminal or something that does.
Good point on the bolt being into metal

It just seems very difficult to put the fork terminal under the screw in a manner that won't come loose

Not keen on drilling the car lol. I don't have one, and not great with DIY!

Would sticking gaffer tamp on the fork and on the bolt work? Or would this be an insulator that would negate the earthing

would be good to hear from anyone else that installed a dashcam in their accord

You have me confused , why do you earth the fuse , I do understand electrics as I was an auto electrician for thirty years , and I am still a member of the IMI , why are you earthing the fuse ?

I think the OP is describing the DC-DC converter. Perhaps it also contains a fuse?

longshanks1 said:
You have me confused , why do you earth the fuse , I do understand electrics as I was an auto electrician for thirty years , and I am still a member of the IMI , why are you earthing the fuse ?
I'm not sure of the technical terms here, but knew I had to connect the black fork to something metal.

Anyway I did it :) Found a piece of metal behind the accelerator that I wedged it in tight next to a spring. No danger of it interfering with the pedals either