What's new

Engine conversions

SparkyTypeS

Reaction score
Car
Mk8 honda accord
Has anyone ever decided to swap the type s idtec engine with a k20 or k24 engine in the mk8 as I am thinking about it as I want to keep the car and do something different by putting the legendary k series engine in a turbo charging in the future for big power and the idtec isn't very tunable compared to the petrol engines, had anyone ever done this or does anyone know of anyone who would do the conversion and take the idtec engine in exchange for the k20 or k24 engine ?

Whilst it is relatively easy to swop out petrol for diesel powerplants, there is a lot more going on in a sparking engine and I doubt Honda will have made it easy to go the other way.

For starters you should check the subframes and mounting points for the two engines, Honda will almost certainly have different production plants in different countries, parts ***embly and moulding/machining. Then the bulkhead and panels of the body are probably formed for the different hanging points and grommets.

Stuff to add - off top of head.

Engine management module
Full wiring loom and fuse boxes
Instrument panel
Igniters, sensors (climate/engine/earbox loading)
Air intake/box/piping
Fuel tank, pump and pipes
Any additional FI management / loom for particular engine type
Exhaust front to rear

Why not consider lightening what you have, there was a thread back in 2017/8 that went into detail of how to make the Accord less weighty.

I understand there's alot to change over but would still like to the mk8 comes in a k24 so I can't see how it would be a massive amount of work compared to a car that's never had the engine