What's new

Engine Mount?

IanM83

Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord Tourer
Hi all,

My 58 plate Tourer (2.0 VTEC manual) with 65k on the clock sometimes makes a 'screetching / groning noise' when pulling away in 1st gear, it generally only happens when the car is heavilly loaded or on an incline and usually when the engine is cold / not up to temperature.

The clutch isn't slipping so I thought it may be an engine mount - are these known to fail or is there anything else I should check?

We have had the car from new and it has a has full history (mostly Honda although more recently me / my local garage using Honda parts).

Thanks in advance

Ian

from your description, most likely it's the thrust bearing in the clutch, aka clutch release bearing

doesn't sound like a mount. Could it be a slipping belt I'd screeching

Hi, i just bought a 2009 Honda accord with 2.0 petrol engine, and realised my car has similar issue, when pulling away in 1 st gear it makes small noise from time to time, and as with IanM83' s car is the same the clutch doesn't seem to slip at all. Car is at 48000 miles. How to get it checked?

Does it make a chirp or screech sound when you start it up from cold in the morning? Mine does it a bit, its on 74k miles 2008 year.

It might be the aux belt or fan belt as they were known. Its the belt you see on the left side of the engine driving the alternator. If it looks brown the rubber is breaking down, so it would be worth changing it.

They dont cost much from Honda, under £20. Just need to push the spring loaded pulley back to slip the belt off.

Also worth looking on Civinfo website for R series engine issues, as the R series is in the Civic also in a 1.8 size.

Hi all,

Thanks for the useful comments / suggestions.

Richsprint - Mine doesn't chirp when starting, although my service light has just come this morning and looking at the codes it needs an oil / filter change and the aux belt checking. I will get the aux belt changed as a precaution seems it is six years old. Is the aux belt circa £20 from HH with the discount?

Anyhow, looks like the clutch release bearing in my case, seems like a big job for changing a small part - I presume it wont cause too much harm if I leave it a while? We plan to keep this car for a good few more years so if it gets worse then I will get the clutch changed at the same time.

Thanks again

Ian

IanM83 said:
Anyhow, looks like the clutch release bearing in my case, seems like a big job for changing a small part - I presume it wont cause too much harm if I leave it a while? We plan to keep this car for a good few more years so if it gets worse then I will get the clutch changed at the same time.
it might cause the fingers on the clutch release mechanism itself, to wear down. That in turn will mean that you will start to find that the clutch pedal has to go down further over time, each time you change gear. Eventually that will start to make gear changes difficult.

So if you begin to find gear changes difficult, it needs changing ASAP, but otherwise it should be ok for a while.

The clutch on my 2.4 started to do this (without the bearing squealing) at 70k miles, but I did have a tow-bar and had towed a caravan (though not a lot). I had the clutch changed on a "Honda Happiness" deal at the time, which ran out a few months after I had it done, so I saved a lot of money. It's a big job, the gearbox has to come out, but to do that the subframe has to come out, but to do that, the exhaust system has to be removed.

So ask if they have a "Honda Happiness" deal on this, and if they do, ask how long you have before the deal ceases.