What's new

Engine problem

Rich.B

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hoping someone can help me diagnose the annoying tapping noise coming from the engine in my 2.0 ivtec accord. You can hear loud tapping noise at idle and up to about 2500rpm, it seems to stop above this rpm. Any ideas?

It would be difficult to diagnose a noise over a forum. Could be that your timing chain is running afoul or the valve adjustments need doing, best to get someone to look at it!!

Is it just when its cold or first started after a few hours? If so then its nothing to worry about. I had the same concerns with mine but after doing some research and talking to a couple of Honda mechanics I was told its nothing to worry about. Adjusting vavle clearence would get rid of it but its a faff and isnt really necessary. MInd you, if it continues once the engine is up to temperature id get it done.

Wilderman said:
Is it just when its cold or first started after a few hours? If so then its nothing to worry about. I had the same concerns with mine but after doing some research and talking to a couple of Honda mechanics I was told its nothing to worry about. Adjusting vavle clearence would get rid of it but its a faff and isnt really necessary. MInd you, if it continues once the engine is up to temperature id get it done.
It is still audible when engine is hot, although I do believe it is worse when cold. I will try adjusting valve clearances, it does sound louder than valve clearances though!

Anyone know what the valve clearances need to be set to? I done them before on a B series engine so should be able to manage it on the K.

Valve clearances..... the K20's are noisy buggers when they're off. Here ya go:

K20A6 engine

Intake:

0.21-0.25 mm (0.008-0.010 in.)

Exhaust:

0.28-0.32 mm (0.011-0.013 in.)

Oh, as a test, remove the drive belt for a few mins and start the engine. This will eliminate all the usual ancillary devices.