What's new

Engine rattle

Sad Northerner

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord CDTI
Hi All

I recently bought a secondhand CDTI (2004). It's great and I'm really pleased with my purchase however every now and then a slight hear a rattle coming from the engine which occurs when the car is stationary or when it is moving. I heard that there was some issues with the early diesel Hondas and even some recalls....anyone got any advise?

Regards

Ali

PS I'm pretty new to forums and car clubs and am not very mechanical minded so please excuse my naive questions.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the new car. The noise you are describing could be casued from a number of things. Some things to check are regular oil changes and only with 0w30 rated oil. Anything else is asking for trouble. There has been an extended warranty on the timing chain on these engines. I think its up to 7 years or 125k miles, which ever comes first. I would recommend an oil change with 0w30 oil and a new filter for peace of mind. If the noise continues, you should contact your local dealer to inspect the timing chain. Its also a good idea to browse the forum too. Theres the search facility at the top which returns very good results for what you are looking for. The faults section has some really good advise too.

Good info there by M have a search there are plenty of threads on this subject in diesel faults.