What's new

enough of the vibrations......

nduli

Members
Reaction score
Car
CDTI exec saloon
ok enough is enough with the vibrations in this car, looking for some help and suggestions to help me have an informed conversation about options with Steve and the guys at HH.
I’ve kind of nearly had it with this car but just seem to want to give it one more chance

car is 07 plate CDTI ex (62k) with FSH and last service and driveshafts and innerjoints done last week at HH

PS i have extended warranty now from honda

the issues i experience

vibration in accelerator pedal and steering wheel varying between quite minor and middling
vibration when between 1700 and 1900 rpm in most gears appears (but not 100% confirmed) to be mainly when engine warm
vibration around 900rpm on very light throttle when moving at low speed
noticed tonight that vibration happens from 1700 and 1900 rpm and 3000 – 4000rpm when not in gear (sat in heavy traffic on the 62 trying to determine whether it definitely happened when not in gear).
car shudders when turned off (very noticeable)
car seems to shudder on start up (less noticeable but only noticed after reading another posting)
clutch engagement is at best average - just doesn't feel like its smooth enough

list of things that have been done in last 3 months to try and rectify some of my issues

clutch and DMF (note DMF was a luk one not a honda one but done by HH about 2-3k miles ago ish)
VSA module - done under extended warranty
drivers side driveshaft
innerjoints on both sides
full wheel alignment
new front boots

list of options for HH to look at – can you suggest other ideas?

DMF again
rear engine mount
A.N.OTHER suggestion, pulley’s / timing chain?

any help thoughts and guidance appreciated.

if its the DMF do we think i'd get the money back on the luk part and thus cough up "just another" £400 for the difference? (PS have spent circa £2500 on this in 3 months

Sounds like a dodgy engine mount to me. Needs someone knowledgable like hh to look at it.

thanks habib, noticed this suggestion elsewhere as a possible issue but with the "gravelly / not smooth clutch engagement" at the time i am convinced that its possibly also DMF related - the engine mount is on the list to be checked when i go down next which will prbably be in a couple of weeks due to work committments

The fact you get vibration out of gear & related to engine speed would suggest it's definitely engine related (as opposed to drivetrain)

Engine mountings are well worth looking at- though I'd be surprised at such a premature failure...any clunking on/off throttle?

Did the symptoms of the vibration (rpm/load) alter at all when your clutch/DMF were previously replaced?

With an extended warranty & obvious problem requiring further diagnosis are you not within your rights to leave the car with the dealer until it is rectified? It seems terribly unfair that you should spend good money after bad without any confirmed diagnosis (& the vehicle under warranty)

Hope you get to the bottom of it

Chris

:eek:

You have mentioned a list of things you have done/changed, the main cause of vibes in this motor is the driveshafts, and usually the n/s, which you mention you have changed the inner CV, there is still a possibility the outer joint may be goosed or one of the shafts ever so slightly bent, unfortunately the only way to solve it is to change the entire shaft for a new one. or swap out with a donor you know is running smooth.

Mine shook like a ***** when i test drove it, garage changed the shaft with the play in it ( which was the o/s entire shaft) this cured it somewhat but i didn't get the chance to test it properly until the garage warranty had lapsed, when i did i noticed it shook only under accelaration in 2nd and 3rd and around 50ish, gentle acceleration didn't manifest the problem. i bit the bullet and changed the n/s myself, problem is now 99% cured, i get a very light wobble around 22mph in 2nd gear, could be the o/s shaft the garage replaced was a ***** one, i can live with it for the time being, if i accelerate steadily in 1st past 20mph the wobble isn't there at all, only under slow acceleration through 2nd, get to 25mph and its smooth as silk again??.

My train of thought having seen and handled the shafts is that it wouldn't take much for one of the joints to be ever so slightly out of line/bent to cause the wobble, i suppose this is one instance where a genuine brand new Honda shaft at £480 a pop would hopefully solve things??, if you have that sort of money to spend then go for it, all i will add is that Nippon auto spares do replacement shafts with a 3yr guarantee for £129 ns £119 os.

Its your car and your money!!

Wow, a few people are having issues with the car jolting when switching off. I'm starting to wonder if the engine mounts are the real culprit here.

The fact you get vibration out of gear & related to engine speed would suggest it's definitely engine related (as opposed to drivetrain)

Engine mountings are well worth looking at- though I'd be surprised at such a premature failure...any clunking on/off throttle?

Did the symptoms of the vibration (rpm/load) alter at all when your clutch/DMF were previously replaced?

With an extended warranty & obvious problem requiring further diagnosis are you not within your rights to leave the car with the dealer until it is rectified? It seems terribly unfair that you should spend good money after bad without any confirmed diagnosis (& the vehicle under warranty)

Hope you get to the bottom of it

Chris

hi chris, no the issue was there before the DMF was changed and same after but its been hidden behind the driveshaft issue i suspect. thanks for the other replies it will go back to the guys at hh and see what they think and what the next steps are - just concerned its somethign out of balance in the engine in some way and thus lots of money........

so just by way of an update i had the car in last week for investigations with HH. Steve and a tech were left scratching their heads for the exact cause but spotted that I had a minor crack in my manifold and a possible explanation could be to change the drive belt on the aircon unit, give them dues they spent 3hrs going over the car trying to find it :) .

went back today, new manifold (under warranty) new drive belt for air con unit (£45) result - fixed no vibration, after 4months of investigations, huge bills and moments of shall i leave it in moss side with the keys in the ignition ? it drives like the car i shoudl have bought

i actually smiled today on the way back from HH.....i love my new car, she will get a full wash and clean out tomorrow as a reward.

PS thanks for all the help and advice - this forum is a god send.