What's new

Excessive key-off current drain = flat battery

xr39q

Reaction score
Car
Accord 04
I know these forums are normally for questions, but what better than a question with the answer already supplied; to save you typing.

I've been having problems with battery flattening on my just-bought 04 Accord Touring. A current clamp meter on a freshly charged battery showed a key-off, door closed current of 250mA. Further tests showed this was going through the Back Up, ACC fuse 15 under the bonnet and the Back Up fuse 7 in the interior fuse box. Your site (and the rest of the web) connects this fuse to a vast and probably expensive range of on-board systems and certainly removing it disables sat-nav, stereo, remote locking and central locking, the loss of which is pretty annoying.

I suspected the satnav, which instantly knows where I am when I turn the car on and must therefore be tracking the satellites while the car is off, but when I was trying to find out how to disconnect it, I came across this
http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?***le=Flat_battery
which describes how an active sensor on the CAN bus can stop the bus entering its sleep mode.

Now, I knew the handle of the tailgate was a bit sticky and a bit more testing showed that if I shut the handle properly, the current draw went down to 50mA and if I wiggled it out a bit, the current went back up to 250mA, enough to drain the battery in a week.

So, that's something else to look out for if your battery's going flat.

That's interesting info. Can you find out what the current draw is when the alarm is enabled ? :)

(could be difficult as the bonnet would have to be closed, might need a light and webcam to see the clamp meter)

Welcome to the forum btw (you might get some admin people saying "please introduce yourself" etc) :D

I know these forums are normally for questions, but what better than a question with the answer already supplied; to save you typing.

I've been having problems with battery flattening on my just-bought 04 Accord Touring. A current clamp meter on a freshly charged battery showed a key-off, door closed current of 250mA. Further tests showed this was going through the Back Up, ACC fuse 15 under the bonnet and the Back Up fuse 7 in the interior fuse box. Your site (and the rest of the web) connects this fuse to a vast and probably expensive range of on-board systems and certainly removing it disables sat-nav, stereo, remote locking and central locking, the loss of which is pretty annoying.

I suspected the satnav, which instantly knows where I am when I turn the car on and must therefore be tracking the satellites while the car is off, but when I was trying to find out how to disconnect it, I came across this
http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?***le=Flat_battery
which describes how an active sensor on the CAN bus can stop the bus entering its sleep mode.

Now, I knew the handle of the tailgate was a bit sticky and a bit more testing showed that if I shut the handle properly, the current draw went down to 50mA and if I wiggled it out a bit, the current went back up to 250mA, enough to drain the battery in a week.

So, that's something else to look out for if your battery's going flat.

nice bit of info there bud,but our 7gen accord are not canbus system..

Nice info pal. Do stick around and introduce yourself.
Welcome anyway to the club