What's new

Extra brake light wiring fault

Mars406

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord I-DTEC
Hello all was just wondering If anyOne would know why my 4th brake light is working but my third is not, basically I have put a spoiler on my 8th gen with a LED strip in it and just stripped the insulation from the brake light in the rear window and soldered it to them, my 2 main brake lights work and the LED strip but my rear window brake light doesn't work???? If anyone can help me I would be very thankful.

Test the bulb pal. Also use a multimeter and check for current.

Ah ok kl will do that tomorrow, I checked the bulb quickly but seemed to look ok but will test it properly tomorrow. Would the LED stop the voltage reaching the bulb? Cheers guys

If it stopped working when you connected up the new LED, then it was obviously something to do with that. Either you've knackered the wiring, or the LED strip is either faulty or wrongly wired... unlike conventional bulbs, LED lights have to be connected a certain way round (i.e. one connection is positive/+/red & the other is negative/-/black) - it won't damage them to be connected the wrong way round, but they won't work.

^^^ He mentioned his led strip is working just the third high level brake isn't now which is a incadescent type.

Martin if you have a multi meter check the bulb for continuity or try a new one. Also check their is voltage at the connector when the brake is applied.

Yeah will test that in the morning and I know that the LED won't work if it is wired incorrectly, I am hoping it is just a lamp in the window brake light, the funny thing is that I am an electrician ha ha. I know that LEDs when being jump from one to another from 1 source (daisy chained) need to be connected in series but don't think that applie ls here in automotive or even just tapping off a boreal 12 v supply, cheers for all your help guys, will let u know how it all goes.

Good luck sparky lol from another spark but car electrics is not my game.

Can u post a pic of this spoiler?? Have been thinking of getting one.

James I'm sure you can get these spoilers from the Australian eBay mate.
But yes it will be good to see a photo of one fitted.

Yeah I know what u mean brett and yeah will post done pics later on today and it is not a Honda spoiler, some of u might hate me but I have put an BMW E36 spoiler on, looks really nice and fits perfectly with the lines running thought the body work.

If the final result makes you happy, then that's all that matters;)

Hello all i found out that the lamp has no continuity so i am going to get another one tomorrow and here are the pictures of my new spoiler that i fitted, took me about an hour because i had to prepare it and put rust stop on all the holes.

here is the spoiler off my old E36 BMW i had the paint matched otherwise it would have looked stupid in red lol but then i took out the factory light and replaced it with a LED strip, the way that i done this was that i got some tinted acrylic off of ebay and LED strip off of ebay too, it took some time to build the brake light and to mount it in but i am very pleased with the results. the bolt holes that hold the spoiler on fitted just, so that means i didn't have to try and bodge it.

i like the fact that there are not many if not any that have this spoiler on their 8th Gen. hope you all like.

img1051y.jpg

img1052da.jpg

just realised the the daylight picture does not do it justice but if you look from the top you can see some nice curves on the spoiler, will take another pic tomorrow, cheers

Nice Martin that looks great mate

Cheers Brett getting the remap on my car sorted in January and a new duel exit exhaust.

Cheers Brett getting the remap on my car sorted in January and a new duel exit exhaust.
Nice mate i will be organizing a Bristol meet in the new year so it would be good to see you :)

dont know how you can have that sticker on the back of your 8th gen...

its not a chav mobile with JVC, KENWOOD etc stickers adorned all over it.

It's not a JVC or KENWOOD sticker, and it is exactly that "My 8th gen" you are more then welcome to shout **** if u see me. And I will return the remark. Ha ha

Martin Si would love that sticker mate trust me

Ha ha cheers Brett and yeah if there is a Bristol meet I will be there. Cheers. My little lady has " if you are going to ride my ***, atleast pull my hair and make me scream" on the back of her car. Ha ha but she drives a scinic .

Good man I will get some dates up in the new year for a meet.
It's always a good one in bristol and normally a good turn out.