What's new

Failed emissions test

eegorot

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Greetings to all.car(2000 1.8 engine) failed the emission test this week but prior to it I changed the whole exhaust system including cat converter and also a service on the engine(oil/filter/air filter/clean plugs).took it back home and replaced lambda sensor and spark plugs (recommended ngk/ntk brand) and drove it for around 40 miles mostly red lining before the 're test but still failed. No engine light on the dash but I checked it anyway using the paper clip test. Result is that the engine light just stayed on and srs went away then came back, done it again with the same outcome so not sure if I done it right. Not sure if relevant but the cat I installed has got a hole for something but I just left it plugged with a bolt that came with it. It failed on excessive CO content after 2nd fast idle by the way. Any advice would be much appreciated please on what to do next apart from sending it to scrap heaven. Thanks.

The hole in the cat is for the #2 Lambda sensor isn't it?
If not connected or properly fitted it'd usually cause the engine light to show.
If there's two holes in it then it could be the wrong model perhaps.

Any chance you could put up some pictures of the cat?

I'm sure someone with a better knowledge of these things will be along to provide more help :)

Thanks for the reply.I will try to post a picture of it.I bought it from fleabay and contacted the seller providing my registration to ensure it is fitted.Will it not show a fault code if it is a wrong part?

Forgot to mention that on my old exhaust the 02 sensor was on the down pipe just before the cat so that I where I put it on.

I know the 2.0 F20B6 has two sensors. One on the down pipe accessed from the engine bay and another further along the system.
The ESM shows a different setup for the F18B2 and F18B3 systems and things seem dependant on your vehicle's spec.

As you say you've got the #1 sensor in the tail end of the downpipe. The hole in your cat then would be the #2 sensor fitted to the automatics. If it came with a blanking bolt for that hole it may not be air tight. Some gasket/exhaust sealant on the thread would ensure it's fully sealed. Other than that can't see why it would fail if the whole system has been replaced.

Might be worth getting another garage to give the system a once over and see if they can find anything wrong. It could be something simple elsewhere as gone out of whack.

Here's a pdf of the ESM's diagram for your exhaust setup:
https://app.box.com/s/htgjx3h0a3aekepjb2i02ufa948cybkf

Thanks medical flyer.I'll get it checked and would let them do a leak down test just in case it is internal engine related issues.have a nice day.