What's new

Fitting roof rails on a pre face lift Estate

ebt

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Estate
Hi all, I've managed to get a pair of roof rails and ***ociated bits from a scrapped car.

My car is a 54 plate and I'm ***ured they will fit, as they are pre face-lift rails.

I haven't tried to install them yet and wonder if I can get some help on 2 queries please ? -

1/ What is the best way to remove the trim that runs from the rear of the roof all the way to the bottom of the windshield to give access underneath ?

2/ Do the rails simply bolt into threaded holes in the roof (that are hopefully "blind" holes so as not to allow water ingress ?

Many thanks...............ebt :mellow:

Roof Molding Replacement
NOTE:
•Put on gloves to protect your hands.

•Take care not to damage the windshield.

•Do not use any of metallic tools to remove the roof molding, or you may chip the edge of the windshield and some cracks in the windshield will occur.

•Take care not to bend the roof molding.

Molding Replacement

1. Remove the cowl cover.

2. Detach the bottom clip (A) at the lower corner of the windshield.

3. Remove the windshield portion of the roof molding (A).

-1 Carefully insert a plastic spatula ( B) in under the molding next to the lower clip (C).

-2 While pulling the clip portion of the molding up by hand, push each small eight hooks (D) in numbered sequence shown to release the clip from the retainer (E). Do not try to pry up the clip if it is hard to release from the retainer.

-3 Gradually work your way up to release each of the upper clip (F, G, H).

4. Pull up the front roof end portion of the roof molding (A) to release it from the retainer ( B).

5. Start the front to the rear, slowly pull the roof molding (A) up to release the molding from the retainers ( B), and to release the molding with the retainers (C) from the stud bolts on the body.

6. Slide the rear end of the roof molding rearward to release it (A) from the pin ( B), then remove the roof molding.

7. Replace any damaged clips or retainers.

Molding Installation

1. Stand the retainer (A) at the front roof end portion as shown.

2. Hold the roof molding up on the roof, and align each retainer to the stud bolts, and each clip to the retainers on the body.

3. Fit the rear end of the roof molding (A) to the pin ( B).

4. From the rear to the front, fit the roof molding (A) to the retainers ( B), and the retainers (C) to the stud bolts, then push on the molding until the retainers snap into place.

5. Fit the front roof end portion of the roof molding (A) to the retainer stood in 1, then slowly push on the molding to rotate the retainer until it fits to inside of the molding.

6. From the top to the bottom, push on the windshield portion of the roof molding (A) just upon, the clips (B, C, D, E) until they snap into place, then slip the bottom clip (F) under the windshield glass.

7. Reinstall the cowl cover.

from the looks of it very complicated!

edgeoftime said:
Roof Molding Replacement
NOTE:
•Put on gloves to protect your hands.

•Take care not to damage the windshield.

•Do not use any of metallic tools to remove the roof molding, or you may chip the edge of the windshield and some cracks in the windshield will occur.

•Take care not to bend the roof molding.

Molding Replacement

1. Remove the cowl cover.

2. Detach the bottom clip (A) at the lower corner of the windshield.

3. Remove the windshield portion of the roof molding (A).

-1 Carefully insert a plastic spatula ( B) in under the molding next to the lower clip (C).

-2 While pulling the clip portion of the molding up by hand, push each small eight hooks (D) in numbered sequence shown to release the clip from the retainer (E). Do not try to pry up the clip if it is hard to release from the retainer.

-3 Gradually work your way up to release each of the upper clip (F, G, H).

4. Pull up the front roof end portion of the roof molding (A) to release it from the retainer ( B).

5. Start the front to the rear, slowly pull the roof molding (A) up to release the molding from the retainers ( B), and to release the molding with the retainers (C) from the stud bolts on the body.

6. Slide the rear end of the roof molding rearward to release it (A) from the pin ( B), then remove the roof molding.

7. Replace any damaged clips or retainers.

Molding Installation

1. Stand the retainer (A) at the front roof end portion as shown.

2. Hold the roof molding up on the roof, and align each retainer to the stud bolts, and each clip to the retainers on the body.

3. Fit the rear end of the roof molding (A) to the pin ( B).

4. From the rear to the front, fit the roof molding (A) to the retainers ( B), and the retainers (C) to the stud bolts, then push on the molding until the retainers snap into place.

5. Fit the front roof end portion of the roof molding (A) to the retainer stood in 1, then slowly push on the molding to rotate the retainer until it fits to inside of the molding.

6. From the top to the bottom, push on the windshield portion of the roof molding (A) just upon, the clips (B, C, D, E) until they snap into place, then slip the bottom clip (F) under the windshield glass.

7. Reinstall the cowl cover.

from the looks of it very complicated!
Should there have been some images with this excellent post edgeoftime ?

Yes there are but do not load with this site (no idea why), will see if I can get them up another way. will need showing how to do it or pm your email address.

edgeoftime said:
Yes there are but do not load with this site (no idea why), will see if I can get them up another way. will need showing how to do it or pm your email address.
Many thanks edgeoftime. The cowl even looks a sod to remove first !

email is englishbullterrier@btinternet.com

........ebt :) (PS, I do have plastic trim removal tools)

Triple check what you have delivered is absolutely the right one by laying alongside a later facelift estate if there is one in the area.

The 54 plate only had an aftermarket option for the roof rails (it was about 2 inches shorter). ?The later, official Honda one will not fit in the same holes, or grooves without making quite a mess.

I accidentally purchased facelift roof rails for my pre-facelift estate....

I simply cut off approx 1" from the middle section on each side and they fit fine. A wee piece of black electrical tape covering the cut sections and all is well with the world.

Have been used quite a lot since without any issues :)

Channel Hopper said:
Triple check what you have delivered is absolutely the right one by laying alongside a later facelift estate if there is one in the area.

The 54 plate only had an aftermarket option for the roof rails (it was about 2 inches shorter). ?The later, official Honda one will not fit in the same holes, or grooves without making quite a mess.
Hmm............the ones I have were definately taken from a pre-facelift Tourer.

Have not yet tried to install them as the weather is so poor.............

mattster said:
I accidentally purchased facelift roof rails for my pre-facelift estate....

I simply cut off approx 1" from the middle section on each side and they fit fine. A wee piece of black electrical tape covering the cut sections and all is well with the world.

Have been used quite a lot since without any issues :)
A very neat solution.