What's new

Fitting speakers in rear doors Type S

123taylor123

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord s 2.4 7th gen
Done a mod at the weekend which i thought was worth showing.

Parts:
speakers - i used alpine coaxials 165mm - they came with tails when new.
speaker adaptors/spacers - i had a pair of plastic ones left from previous car
speaker wire - i used 0.5mm - 6m worth approx 3m per side
through crimps

Tools:
fencing wire
phillips screwdrive pz2
flat terminal driver
ratchet crimper

1. take door panel off -
4 screws (2 under flap behind open handle) (2 under silver pull handle insert)
should then pop off
carefully unclip electric window switch connector
unclip wire carefully from rear of opening handle

2, unclip the 2 black covers just inside front & back dooropenings at the bottom. then unclip the central black cover (hides the seatbelt reel)

3. pull the white plastic sheet covering the inside of the door out of the way. I taped it to the window.

4. locate this hole above the seatbelt reel
iphone5sbackupfeb14013_zpsaa8591b7.jpg

5. feed your fencing wire through the hole (bend the end over to make it feed easier)
iphone5sbackupfeb14009_zps4785d449.jpg

6. then feed the wire through the rubber wire protector (this takes a little patience) pull the end attached to the car out to make it easier to feed.
iphone5sbackupfeb14008_zpsa9857ce5.jpg

7. once it comes out here ( i undone the orange clip to aid the wire feed) tape the end of your speaker wire to the "inside car" end of your piece of fencing wire.
iphone5sbackupfeb14007_zps52b857f5.jpg

8. Then pull enough through to connect to your speaker.
iphone5sbackupfeb14021_zps601b657c.jpg

9. Line up yor speaker in its adaptor against your door - drill the holes and self tapper the speakers to the door (connect the speaker wires up before fixing) then replace plastic sheet and cut out the speaker accordingly.
iphone5sbackupfeb14024_zps64ffba13.jpg

10. run the speaker wire up to the back parcel shelf speakers and connect using the through crimps.

11. remove speaker blanks from inside of door card & cut away the upstand
iphone5sbackupfeb14025_zpseb08d893.jpg

iphone5sbackupfeb14022_zps69abbfbb.jpg

12, replce door cards, hide all the wires & clip everything back together in reverse.

This took me about 1hr on the first door and 40mins on the second after i figured it what i needed to do.

hope this helps. i realise its not the best write up but at least its a bit more info to help you if your thinking of doing this.

So you previously didn't have rear door speakers and now you do.... awesome job mate, nice write up too B)

so in essence, you have replaced the rear shelf speakers with speakers in the back doors? Does this sound better? I would have thought swapping out the rear shelf speakers with 6x9 helps increase sound and quality as most have done? or do you now have rear shelf and door speakers? Great write up by the way!

hi Johnny

I now have both running. basically spliced the back doors into the rears.

This is parts of a future project - i am hoping to fit an alpine 4 channel amp in the boot to run the front doors, Front Tweeter's, rear doors and parcel shelf speakers.

Shouldnt be long now - Just etching a pcb board up at he moment to handle the distribution.

oh ok cool that makes sense in terms of upgrading :D im not sure the internal head unit amp will be able to handle driving 2 sets of speakers though. From my old ice days, i recall speakers usually have 4 ohms of resistance and headunits are usually designed to drive speakers of 4ohms. if you have spliced the cabling, this would mean you are running 2 speakers in parallel on each channel, therefore reducing the resistance to 2 ohms. This could damage your amp if this is the case, or am I wrong? If so, I will also be doing this mod LOL :D