What's new

Front Brake Caliper Cost

stonking

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.2 Exc
Hi All. Does anyone know why the front brake calipers on the 8th Gen are so much more expensive than on the 7th Gen? Does anyone know where I can get a pair at a reasonable cost? I changed my rear calipers for about £50 each as the old ones were very stiff and at £50 I decided the kits did not make sense but at £130 per caliper for the fronts, well that is just crazy.

Thanks, Grump over (but could come back any time)

Have you tried taking them apart and cleaning/freeing off the stiff parts ?

On the Tourer, pushing back the piston relatively quickly into its cavity stopped the binding, it hasn't returned.

The car is 12 years old and has done 230k miles. I think it deserves new. Also the bleed nipples are rusted quite badly and I am afraid if I force them, they will break off..

The car is 12 years old and has done 230k miles. I think it deserves new. Also the bleed nipples are rusted quite badly and I am afraid if I force them, they will break off..

Just like mine, hence the reason for trying out alternative fixes.
On other vehicles, I found additional issues to resolve once I cracked open banjo bolts.

You could easily source a decent second hand set but refurbishing them is a perfectly reasonable thing to do no matter how old as you're going to be replacing the bits that that really need replacing with a kit. As mentioned previously I dare say taking them apart and removing the corrosion would do it as they are only slightly binding but trust me when I say my calipers were probably the most badly corroded ever seen so much so I broke the nipple in one. The bleed nipples were so corroded they were hardly recognisable so lesson learned I found out the trick is to heat the nipple to cherry (if possible) and quench it rapidly , do this two or three times and the rapid expansion and cooling will crack the corrosion it'll unscrew almost guaranteed no matter what the condition. I had so much delaminated rust on the surface of my calipers I was knocking off 5-8mm at a time with a chipping hammer to reach a good metal but they are perfectly serviceable now.

I wondered that as well because, well do not seem to push against anything that moves.