What's new

Fuel filter change + EML light

Doc

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-ctdi EX 2008
I did part of my service today and completed my fuel filter change. The first time I've taken a spanner to the Accord and it seemed to go ok, to start with.

After refitting the filter I bled the fuel system of air, but I don't think I primed the system enough. On the 1st time of starting it took a few turns before it started. This caused the EML light to come on, I ***ume due to low fuel pressure but haven't had chance to get the code checked yet. The car runs fine and revs as freely as it usually does, but admittedly I haven't taken it out on a drive yet, this is partly due to the EML light being on.

I want to clear the EML light off the dash but I don't want to pull the ECU fuse to do it as it will clear the stored fault code. Then I can get the code checked later to confirm the low fuel pressure. Or if it comes back on I've done something wrong.

Is there a way of clearing the EML light without connecting an OBD reader to it??

Ps before you ask yes it is a genuine Honda fuel filter and it was purchased from Holdcroft. :D

Thanks
Matt

Your fine mate this can happen if you dont prime the filter properly before starting. You will find that after 3 or 4 drives / stop and starts the light will go out.

Code will still be stored mate.

Matt you may find after a few starts and stops the light will go off by itself. The code will still be stored but EML will be off. I've got 5-6 starts in my mind but also 30 starts! I can't remember which!

Cheers lads I'll give it a few more starts and take it for a drive tomorrow, hopefully that should sort it out. :D Then I'll get the code read and cleared when I get the brake fluid changed.

It should just be the ECU having a hissy fit from the fuel filter change. I can't see that it could be anything else from what was a relatively easy job, thanks to the guides on here.

Thanks
Matt

good advice doc from the guys.
as said give it a few starts and the light will clear but will stay on the ecu for checking later.
the ecu has a hidden memory so its always stored in the back ground.

Matt,

As advised above

Another thing to check is that you re-connected the three connectors correctly i.e that they have all clicked into place.

Had exactly the same issue with mine I was pulling my hair out thinking what have I not plugged back in etc. After checking everything twice I thought I'd take it for a drive see if it drove normal and it did and the lights went out and stayed out.

Handbook says to turn off indicator restart& turn off the engine at least 3 times at intervals of approx 30 secs.

sometimes you don't even need that, last time i had this it sorted itself out the next engine start.

Good news!

I started my car today after I did my oil change and the EML light didn't come on. I'm not sure after how starts as I wasn't paying attention and counting but I'd say ether 5 or 6 lol.

So looks like I just didn't prime the fuel bulb enough. :)

Cheers for the advice.

Matt

With our cars it pays to have an OBD reader of some sort - it is handy to see just what has happened and reset these codes.

Glad it sorted itself though!