What's new

Gearbox/clutch

Maffro

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord 2.4 EX
Hi all,

When reversing I hear the kind normal noise a car makes while reversing, however when I fully engage the clutch while reversing It makes a kind of whirring, stuttery noise combined with the usual reversing noise. Ive also noticed that while under reasonable acceleration the whirring noise appears going forwards too, although no where near as noticable. Im becoming increasingly concerned that the gear box is faulty on this car and Im near tears thinking about the potential long drawn out process of trying to get money back on the car if this is the case. The 3 month warranty will unlikely cushion much of the financial blow of a gearbox rebuild. I've had the car 2 months now and covered around 1k miles - so surely to feck this couldn't be my fault

I dunno, at my wits end and losing confidence in the car as the days go by.

Hi Mate

please try to describe the problem more, could it maybe be the alternator rattling?

I've not heard of the gearbox going on these cars as of yet but that's not to say it's not the gearbox. Can you notice any leaks coming from the gearbox?
Also something that is common on these cars is the clutch release bearing going dry which can make noise too. The car will still function but will make a screeching noise when setting off.

Really need more detail from you, what sort of service history does the car have, what mileage is it on?

Hi Shabz,

Sorry for the poor description, was totally stressed out last night. The car has a full honda history up til last service so 12k miles since last honda service. The mileage is 63.5k. I let my friend have a shot today who is a mechanic and he says the noise in reverse is normal when depressing the clutch and rolling backwards at say 5mph - regardless, I beg to differ. We've had about 6 or 7 different cars over the years and It just doesn't sound right to me. I can't see any leaks from the gearbox. At present, the noise is barely audible if you are on a rough road surface (which is most road surfaces here) since the road noise is louder, on the few bits of smooth tar there are if you are travelling at 40 - 50mph in 6th gear and even touch the throttle there is an audible dry chafing noise (this is the best I can describe it). I use 6th gear as an example at this speed, the noise is present on all forward gears. Its hard to try and describe a noise in words, I would post a video but I doubt my phone or camera would pick the noise up.

So, my mechanic friend said it seems ok to him, however I did pop to another garage briefly and the car was driven by the owner of the garage who said that there was some transmission noise but that it didn't sound terminal. This put my mind at ease a little but terminal or not I believe there is the beginnings of a problem. This puts me in a difficult position as it would cost a good bit in labour to remove the box to check the clutch ***embly etc and I dont have money to throw at it. I have one months warranty left with auto-trust (formula 1 warranty if this means anything to anyone) and I'm keen to put this right or have it diagnosed correctly within this month for obvious reasons.

The car has been a notchy in to second since I got it, I ***umed that changing the fluid would cure this but now im worried the syncro might be goosed for second and allowed contamination of the rest of the box.

Not sure what else to say, gear selection is on the whole fine. There does appear to be a bit more of a high pitched whine say in 3rd/4th gear at about 3k revs upward and its unlinked to the engine since selecting neutral mid whine kills the noise. I've got it booked in for a transmission fluid change on Monday so I'll just have to take it from there.

Only other way I can describe the noise is, imagine you are sliding two pieces of slate over one another but continuously. Sounds dry.

I need a vacation and a prescription of Valium. :/

Hi mate
First and foremost don't get too upset about it, it is what it is and you can't change it.

If you genuinely think the gearbox is at fault maybe change the gearbox oil and see how that helps.

Other than that without hearing the problem I can't really advise

Thanks shabz,

I can appreciate that a diagnosis of a noise is nigh on impossible through forum posts. Just have to deal with it, whatever it turns out to be - pretty upsetting when the car isn't even fully paid for but hey. Mods may have to go on the back burner for the time being.... unless... how much is a spoon gearbox?! lol in my dreams
I'll update once the gearbox oil has been changed. The luck I have with cars is just astounding, maybe its time I got my bike license....

Well, had the gearbox oil changed today and the mechanic said that the oil was free from debris which can only be a positive thing. I ***ume though that there doesnt need to be debris in the oil to mean there is a fault with the box? It sounds like a dry bearing or something to me but Im not hugely clued up on mechanics, I know just enough to worry about things... lol. Anyway, taking it to a different garage on Monday to let another guy that has many years experience under his belt take a spin and see what he thinks. If he gives it the all clear then i'll be happy enough with that. I am however considering a warranty from warrantywise or other company, just for piece of mind . Anyone had any dealings or recommendations for a warranty?

Right, after reading up and listening to the gearbox at idle with the missus on the clutch Im all but convinced its the input shaft bearing at fault. Armed with this suspicion I can at least point the mechanic in what I think is the right direction come Monday. I've read that this is a reasonably common fault in honda manual transmissions. I've also read about folk that have gone up to 30k with it making noise but that sounds a bit risky to me, I need to have it addressed so I can enjoy driving my car again. Whether this is achieved through my current "warranty" (claim limit £500 for single claim) or through the garage I bought the car from or heaven forbid - my wallet remains to be seen.

Hope you managed to get it sorted dude.

The usual noise you hear when reversing is, i think, becuase reverse gear is a straight cut gear, not tapered like the forward ones.

Let us all know how it goes though.

Well, mechanic that "looked" at it today says "no problem there". Still reckon theres something not quite right myself but two mechanics no have said "its fine" so I think i'll just get a years warranty through warrantywise or similar to give me piece of mind. £400 notes for the year to give me piece of mind is worth it in my opinion. If I venture off the island this year it will be in the accord and I will be swinging by a Honda garage to have it PROPERLY diagnosed. I dont think its in imminent danger of failing anyway, just bugging the s**** out of me.

EDIT:

theres a vibration on the clutch pedal if its pressed in about an inch or so - if that means anything? The "dry" noise that I was hearing in neutral disappears when pushing the clutch to the floor, although it was barely audible today (of course). Still, under load is still sounds like something is scraping in the box, defo coming from that direction (e.g. passenger footwell). Still thinking its the beginning of the input shaft bearing going bad but since 2 mechanics now haven't noticed anything unusual I can only ***ume that either I am going mental or they haven't diagnosed it correctly. Might be time for a stethoscope :p