What's new

Gearbox-Drivetrain knocking noise

cpt caveman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type R
Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum & seeking help/advice :rolleyes: sorry.
My sons '99 V reg, accord type R (2.2 manual) has just developed a fault.
There's a low knocking / rumbling noise that seems to be coming from the gearbox or drive train somewhere.
Sat motionless in neutral the engine doesn't make any noise. It's just while in motion (in all gears)
It doesn't appear to be the usual CV joint type knocking/clonking sound, so I'm thinking worst case senerio possible gearbox issue :(
Has anyone come across this issue before ?
Or does anyone have any suggestions on what may be the problem ?

Many thanks in advance people.

Could be the inner CV joints , they tend to rumble and knock at a lower pitch than the outers being closer to the solidity of the gearbox .

Hmmmm thanks, it's a constant knocking that speeds up with the car.
If it makes any difference the thrust race bearing is also making a fair amount of noise at the mo.
The knocking noise does seem to stop if I press the clutch while driving along.

I'm wondering if the car has a dual mass flywheel ? & that is causing the knocking noise now that the clutch is having issues ?

Pretty sure it hasn't got a DMF... it's only us 7th gen diesel owners who are 'lucky' enough to get one of those.

I'd go along with the CV joint suggestion, it goes quiet when you dip the clutch because the driveshafts do not then transmit any torque.

Pretty sure it hasn't got a DMF... it's only us 7th gen diesel owners who are 'lucky' enough to get one of those.

I'd go along with the CV joint suggestion, it goes quiet when you dip the clutch because the driveshafts do not then transmit any torque.

OK Thanks, I agree about the driveshaft not being under torque & that stopping the knocking.I'm just not convinced that it sound like that kind of noise ( I've done a fair few CV joints in my time ) :huh: I could be proved wrong tho :lol:

Inners and outers will sometimes have different symptoms, as already mentioned... worn outers often complain when on tight turning, for example.

Hopefully an ATR owner will come along and put us all straight?

I've just been out & jacked the car up, hoping for a visual confirmation ie: a split cv boot that was obviously knackered & dry of grease. But all the rubber boots look ok on inner & outer both sides, So I guess the only option is to strip the driveshafts off & have a proper inspection of the bearings & their races. Thanks all for the help so far B) It's very much appreciated !
The forum seems like a pretty friendly & helpful resource of info. :D

Being a type r i would imagine that the car has been driven hard in its past and present so gearbox bearings could be gone, maybe even the diff.
Its a hard one to diagnose on the net, ideally need to understand the type of noise

Being a type r i would imagine that the car has been driven hard in its past and present so gearbox bearings could be gone, maybe even the diff.
Its a hard one to diagnose on the net, ideally need to understand the type of noise

I guess, but the car still drives fine & selects all gears without any issues what so ever :huh:

I guess, but the car still drives fine & selects all gears without any issues what so ever :huh:
Most cars do, the bearing and whines just get worse and louder. Whats the mileage on the car and how long have you had it? Also when was the last time you changed the gearbox oil on this?

Most cars do, the bearing and whines just get worse and louder. Whats the mileage on the car and how long have you had it? Also when was the last time you changed the gearbox oil on this?

140k miles, 6 months & we've no idea :rolleyes:

The only whine is from the thrust bearing, the knocking is kind of low & fairly quiet ish. It's only really noticeable above 2k rpm in all forward gears (not in reverse, because we tried that a couple of hours ago on a local industrial estate.)

Ok are you sure its not suspension related this knocking, at that mileage it could worn components but then you mention its constant so does sound drive train related. If the drive shafts are ok then would focus on the box itself and ever the diff. Without hearing it i can't really diagnose. Maybe a video could help?

Ok are you sure its not suspension related this knocking, at that mileage it could worn components but then you mention its constant so does sound drive train related. If the drive shafts are ok then would focus on the box itself and ever the diff. Without hearing it i can't really diagnose. Maybe a video could help?

Yeah, sorry :blush: I know it's extremely hard to diagnose a problem from a sound that's being described on a keyboard.
Believe me I know, I've tried to help people asking the same kind of problem in the past :unsure:
I'm pretty sure it's not suspension related & The video maybe a little tricky as the sound only happens whilst driving.
If I get finished early enough from work tomorrow I'll drain the gearbox & search for any foreign particles in the oil.
Other than that, I'm drawn towards the inner CV joints as others have said.

Could be the diff bearings or the box on the road out... the type r boxes are like chocolate.. give them too much stick and theyll give in