What's new

getting rid of tobacco smell

ChrisPickles

Members
Reaction score
Car
'05 Sport iCDTI
Didn't realise my new purchase had been smoked in before I took delivery and found used ashtrays. Now that the smell of the valetting products is wearing off, it's getting a bit stale in there. Any suggestions for getting rid of the smell. I understand that there are plenty of delicious smelling products out there, but I'd rather get rid of the smell rather than just mask it with something so strong I can taste it!

you get a smoke bomb which is pretty decent, you shut all the doors and windows, let the bomb off and leave the car for a good 12 hours

Vinegar?

Use baking soda on the carpets rub it in and leave for a few days and then hoover up. Clean all the surfaces including head lining as this will often be the worst effected. Use an air con sterlizer / cleaner which is a can you pop and it discharges with the vents all on and cleans the system. When thats done dont forget you will defo need a new pollen filter as that will stink of smoke as well.

I'm with Salim. Febreeze works great. Used it on an old Fiesta.

'twas still a fiesta at the end though ;)

Autoglym interior car shampoo worth a go to.

Headlining and pollen filter worst culprits as Andy has mentioned.

Maybe use glyptone liquid leather on the seats to re-claim the leather smell. (do it a couple of times)

from the net :-

1. Launder whatever you can. If an entire room smells like last year's bachelor party, removing cigarette smoke smell from home will require washing or dry-cleaning everything possible in order to maximize cigarette odour removal.
  2. Vacuum. Before you use any chemicals or resort to desperate measures, vacuum up as much of that cigarette odour as possible. Use vacuum attachments to suck the smoke out of furniture and upholstery in your house or car. Beat out and vacuum car foot mats.
  3. Vinegar. A bowl of white vinegar, left out overnight, can do a surprisingly good job removing foul cigarette odour.
  4. Citrus. Some swear by citrus peels when they need to get rid of foul odours. Leave a liberal amount of citrus peels in your car or home for several days (until the peels are completely desiccated). When you remove them, you will also remove cigarette smell - or at least some of it.
  5. Baking soda - one of the tried-and-true methods of odour removal. Whether cleaning your carpet, smelly used couch or dingy car seats, baking soda is your friend. Sprinkle it over the smoke-infused area and let it sit for a few hours. Then whip out your trusty vacuum cleaner to suck up the soda, finishing the job. One word of advice: before sprinkling at will, test the baking soda out on a concealed part of the surface to make sure the surface or fabric doesn't interact unfavourably with the baking soda.
pretty sound and good advice there that i would do, i have also used charcoal in a bag or 2 under the seat just to help absorb any other odours. (best place to get it is in a aquarium stockist)

hope this helps

Well let you off this time then ;)

Saw this on some programme, get a plastic tray and put a load of charcoal onto it and leave it for a while, the smells should get drawn into the charcoal.

Kimbie