What's new

Going from 205/55 to 205/60

looney

Members
Reaction score
Car
CL9
Hi.

Im in search for new winter tyre set and i was wondering can i fit 205/60R16 on 7th gen facelift(2007) accord wagon. How much will there be speedo error?
Currently im running 205/55R16 winter and 225/45R17 summer set both on original honda alloys and on speedo i have +5km/h error and with both sizes accord is like glued to the road... It is hard to get a tyre squeel in tight corners in dry conditions. :)
But i was wondering about /60 set, as with them car would sit ~1cm higher which would be better in snow/winter conditions because accords dosent have world class clearence and there would be more sidewall rubber to dampen potholes. But will it change handling? If yea, then is it worth the sacrifice? and does it give more speedo error? If yes by how much?

On my side door tyre pressure sticker only 205/55R16 is written.

Thank you for your replies.

about 0.0324 % speedo error. More comfy ride, less road noise and a bit more drift but negligible difference in handling.

Whilst I cannot confirm it, I would suggest there is less chance of kerbing the wheel rims since the tyre height is greater.

Kerbing my alloys,or not is my only concern when buying tyres.Put brand new 17" honda epsilon rims on mine last year and new boots.These were factory fitted so i was replacing like for like.Anyway i always fit a tyre 10mm wider than the rim so impossible to scuff the wheel.
As for the question about speedo accuracy i dunno.What i always do with a new car especially one with aftermarket rims or alternative tyre size is connect satnav and go for a drive.Then i just note the speed im actually travelling at against what the speedo reads.They are always set to read slightly higher from factory anyway so performing this little test lets me know what speed im actually doing against what car shows.
I know at 50mph on my dash im actually doing 52mph so its not out by much but with the amount of cameras out there these days its crucial you know this stuff.

I've noticed whilst driving with the satnav that my speedo says I'm going faster than I actually am. At 70mph on the speedo the satnav is reading 67mph.
I have fitted 18" wheels with 225 x 45 tyres as opposed to 17" with 225 x 50 standard for my model.
This has increased the overall diameter by @ 3mm. The bigger the diameter the less revolutions per mph so the speedo would read less than actual speed.

Speedo's only have to have an accuracy of +/- 10% and more than often they read slightly higher than the actual speed. An indicated 70mph for an actual 67mph is well within the norm.

Ok then it is advised to buy next winter set 205/60? :) because it has bigger side wall, so better 'protection' and it will sit a little bit higher than /55s

Mine speedo reads as i sayed +5km/h on both sets, comparing with gps shown speed.

I think that heard that 'EU' has some rule with new cars that come out of factory that speedo error is allowed to read +/-10km/h. (to pass road legimitacy and can be shipped to customer)

Last edited:
You can find tyre speedo calculator on google. Its very helpful. It shows the difference in speed.

It used to be +/- 10% speedo accuracy, but now in this politically correct world, it's + 10% only. A speedo is no longer permitted to read a lower speed than actual.

Reporting that i've went for the 205/60R16 'nordic' winter tyres, my speedo now reads with only +2km/h. (previously it was +5)

If it is 50 on speedo then im driving 48
if it is 70 then im driving 68
if it is 90 then real speed from gps shows 88.

Maybe it is helpful information to others :)