What's new

Handbrake movement

Kaput!

Reaction score
Car
04 accord tourer 2.0
Shes just flown through her MOT as usual with handbrake strong and adjusted correctly.It does have an annoying trait though which means if i park on a slight downhill slope for example it will roll forward a fraction before locking firmly.Now its always done this but im concerned it might cause gearbox damage eventually.
Reason is my tourer is an auto so i stop,select park then apply handbrake.Thing is when i use car again i sometimes get a clunk when shifting from park through reverse.I suspect the slight roll forward leaves the gearbox slightly out of sync or something and im worried it may cause problems eventually.
What i do now is select neutral then apply brake before shifting to park...this stops the clunk.
Guess im asking if its a common and if theres a way to apply handbrake and elimenate any roll? Maybe my handbrake needs service/replacement?
Any thoughts or advice welcomed!

My Tourer also does exactly the same when applying the handbrake. It's just something to do with the setup and I don't think it's a problem.

I knew id heard this mentioned somewhere in the past.Maybe theres supposed to be some slight movement in the shoes? either way seems like its normal although i dont like it.I will just have to get used to applying handbrake in neutral before shifting to park.

No it's very disconcerting when you have applied the handbrake, taken foot off the brake and the car moves a couple of inches !!! :p

No it's very disconcerting when you have applied the handbrake, taken foot off the brake and the car moves a couple of inches !!! :p
Haha not something ill ever get used to thats for sure.On the plus side i know once "roll" is over its secure.On last weeks MOT i watched the digital braking force readouts in real time.Tester commented on how good the brakes inc hand/park brake were.At the highest end of the scale.
At least i have a way to prevent the "clunk" now i understand the car more.Also found it a little embarrassing at times as it sounds like my gearbox is screwed lol maybe someone will read this and offer an explanation of whats going on.

I think it is caused by the multi link suspension settling.