What's new

Head removal

chesjak

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord I-ctdi
Hi guys

I might have to remove the head to enable me to extract a nasty little sticky injector.

Holdcroft want £420+ just for the head gasket set so I have been looking at head gasket sets online. They seem to be a more reasonable price.

I am informed that the head gasket comes in five different thicknesses for this engine from 1.3mm to 1.5mm.

This seems to be such a small difference, does it really matter which one I use.

If anyone has done this job themselves I would appreciate heads up on any problems encountered. Did you re-use the bolts?

Many thanks

Its a critical measurement, if you go for the wrong thickness the valves can contact the piston at TDC this is a bad thing.
If you are any doubt about how critical this is then maybe you should be getting a mechanic to do this job, the bolts are stretch bolts and I am not sure whether they are torque to yield or torque to an angle on these engines.

The head gasket thickness also normalises baseline compression after head resurfacing, or after the crankshaft has undergone offset grinding.

Actually Wurth make a product specifically for this called Injector-ex I think, its very effective at removing carbon deposits around injectors.

Normal cocacola poured into the head groove whilst the engine is warm and then leave for a day. The last injector I removed was also helped out by gentle twisting using a set of quality molegrips and a rubber mallet.