What's new

Headlamp consensation -grrr

SCOTTP999

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 CTDI TOURER
Morning guys- yet another minor niggle!

Although its always cold in Scotland (!) , the past week or 2 I have noticed that there is a lot of condensation inside the passengers headlight unit- not just mist but the lens is covered in droplets. This may explain why I have to keep replacing bulbs!

Bizarrely, this headlamp has the rear seal cap fitted - the other headlamp does not have a sealing cap on the back of the headlight and is fine.

Has anyone had this problem before??? Just seen the price of a complete unit and fallen off my chair!

any advice, as always would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Morning guys- yet another minor niggle!

Although its always cold in Scotland (!) , the past week or 2 I have noticed that there is a lot of condensation inside the passengers headlight unit- not just mist but the lens is covered in droplets. This may explain why I have to keep replacing bulbs!

Bizarrely, this headlamp has the rear seal cap fitted - the other headlamp does not have a sealing cap on the back of the headlight and is fine.

Has anyone had this problem before??? Just seen the price of a complete unit and fallen off my chair!

any advice, as always would be appreciated. :rolleyes:
Try this http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/2112-do-your-headlights-condensate/

Yep, got this on my o/side since doing the HID mod, might have upset something when I took the lamp out :( have greased the rear cap rubber seal and that's okay! sent away for a few 50gram bags of silica :D

cheers mate

i dont have the HID upgrade but as you say, could have upset a seal on the housing

As i bought the car in summer, i have only just noticed how poor the headlamps (dipped) are to other cars - have tried blue, ice and normal halogens and adjusted the headlamps but find the light very weak and often have to put my fogs on on really dark roads!

i did notice the bags of silica in the headlight - i didnt realise they were already in the headlight!!!

can the bags be bought anywhere? ill give that a go first.

cheers

Yep, got this on my o/side since doing the HID mod, might have upset something when I took the lamp out :( have greased the rear cap rubber seal and that's okay! sent away for a few 50gram bags of silica :D

Thanks Cliff

Ordered 50g bags so should be here tomorrow - looks like a rain forest inside it at the moment and have checked the rear seal cap and main beam seal too- both securely on.

I know it hasnt had the "clip" recall done but I dont trust the local garage not to mess with the car as had a very lengthy battle with them when I owned a previous different make and it went in for a small job and came out with ABS faults etc!!lol

If I have to take the headlamp out- is it relatively easy as I had thought about taking it out and sealing it with non-permanent silicone

cheers

No more condensation after fitting 4 x 25g silica bags :) ( dried it out with hair drier first )

Yeah Scott, if mine shows any serious misting again I will remove it and dry it out and seal it properly. Once water gets in it's hard to dry out without removing the lamp. :( From what others have said about the clip mod I don't think i'll bother either. Taking the lamp out is quite easy ! there is a link on how to do it that is easy to follow, just pick a decent day with plenty of time . Once you have done it it is very easy :)

Thanks Cliff

Ill try the hairdryer and silica gel and see how I get on first - meanwhile, Ill look for that link!!

cheers

:D
Yeah Scott, if mine shows any serious misting again I will remove it and dry it out and seal it properly. Once water gets in it's hard to dry out without removing the lamp. :( From what others have said about the clip mod I don't think i'll bother either. Taking the lamp out is quite easy ! there is a link on how to do it that is easy to follow, just pick a decent day with plenty of time . Once you have done it it is very easy :)