What's new

Heat shield query

ally

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 ivtec
Afternoon all,

Quick question on the heat shield for my 7th gen accord 2.0.

Couple of years ago I had this loud rattle from under the car. Wasn't in sync with the car being rev'd so i knew it was something loose - it would just appear randomly while the car was sitting idle.
So i did what I do best and drove it into Kwik Fit, there soo good at getting the car on the ramp and telling you whats wrong. Then you can proceed to fix the issue yourself :D.

Anyway, the chap there showed me the heat shield screw holes had rusted and was rattling about causing the noise. He just pulled it off and said its not needed. This was the part that faces the ground, so effectively half of the heat shield was taken off.
It was only after I looked on threads/forums online and realised the purpose of it. Not that I ever have or needed to but I established that I should maybe not park the car on long grass and i'll be fine. I'm happy to the report the car has not caught fire and i'm still alive.

The issue I have now is a similar rattle has appeared. I'm pretty sure its the other half of the shield which faces the underneath of the car. From memory I know there is a bigger heat shield like thing which covers the under of the car body around that area.

So before I get all mucky getting under the car, I was wondering if I can just remove the remaining part of the shield?
Is it safe or should I head off to B n Q and get some jubilee clips and go down that road and find after a year or so they have rusted.

The answer i'm hoping for is "its fine, take the heat shield off, its a waste of time and everyone in the car will be safe". But only if thats true please.

Thanks

regarding fires and safety etc, I don't know

but regarding the operation of the CAT itself, both of the heatshields help to prolong the life of the CAT

if it was my car I'd fit new shields myself, or take the car to someone who can fit them

I got some advice from a mechanic friend and he said to just take the heat shield off, apparently no need for them in the uk due to the climate....
I got under the car and realised it was actually the top half of the heat shield that was removed last time and as suspected the other half is what was rattling. Also the larger heat shield which is fixed to the underneath of the car had deteriorated around one bolt causing it to come away and possibly rattle too.
I have wrapped 2 large extended hose/jubilee clips around the heat shield at each end.
For the heat shield fixed to the car i added a larger beast of a washer which has gripped the shield in place.
No more rattling. Sorted