What's new

help please which gen8 model to choose? :(

ken hom

Members
Reaction score
Car
icdti 2.2 '04 accord
morning all, just after a coupla ideas as to which model i should go for as my next (in a long line) of hondas....already have the icdti 04 accord (ken hom), but with 147k on the clock and the potential rocker arm eating itself together with a bunch of valves she has to go beforehand...been looking at es gt gen 8 dtecs and and the ideal ex to match up with my ex demo spec already used to in this one, however they now offer a face lifted model with 180ps not 150ps right? so cheaper to chip a 150ps or buy 180 and get clobbered for potentially more insurance and any tax bracket increment? confused!! those with gen 8s please advise also any known faults to look out for from personal experience cheers all al B)

morning all, just after a coupla ideas as to which model i should go for as my next (in a long line) of hondas....already have the icdti 04 accord (ken hom), but with 147k on the clock and the potential rocker arm eating itself together with a bunch of valves she has to go beforehand...been looking at es gt gen 8 dtecs and and the ideal ex to match up with my ex demo spec already used to in this one, however they now offer a face lifted model with 180ps not 150ps right? so cheaper to chip a 150ps or buy 180 and get clobbered for potentially more insurance and any tax bracket increment? confused!! those with gen 8s please advise also any known faults to look out for from personal experience cheers all al B)

As far as I know, the 180BHP is Type S only. Remainder of the model line up is 150BHP, which in everyday use is ample.

Depends what your budget is or what features you want. ES GT are ok for external looks with modest kit on it, but they lack other things like sunroof, xenons ets. Mines an EX with ADAS/LKAS and I wouldnt trade it for the world (unless I can find a Type S that has the same!)

Might even be worth considering a non-facelift model at a competitive price as the updated one hits the market. But as said, depends on what you want and what you're prepared to pay.

thanks for the advice, i know what your saying re spec as my gen7 is an ex-demo as previously stated so sunroof and climate etc, sat nav and full leather rather than just half etc i like the type s but like you say the spec list isnt all that and i reckon id miss alot of kit. budget is 14k so should be able to pick up a decent one for that with a few miles on her i reckon - not much point in going for a new one as i do 300 miles a dy on average and as such the depreciation would degate the honda happiness thing etc. almost tempted to go with what i know and grab a really low mileage gn 7 on the turn as they chucked everything at it b4 the facelift came out and i know about them having had this one for nearly 5 years. hmmm decisions i reckon i need to pop down and grill a couple of honda garage minions... incidentally as a forum geeza is there any insurance deals or discounts offered to club members on parts as well? ta al

thanks for the advice, i know what your saying re spec as my gen7 is an ex-demo as previously stated so sunroof and climate etc, sat nav and full leather rather than just half etc i like the type s but like you say the spec list isnt all that and i reckon id miss alot of kit. budget is 14k so should be able to pick up a decent one for that with a few miles on her i reckon - not much point in going for a new one as i do 300 miles a dy on average and as such the depreciation would degate the honda happiness thing etc. almost tempted to go with what i know and grab a really low mileage gn 7 on the turn as they chucked everything at it b4 the facelift came out and i know about them having had this one for nearly 5 years. hmmm decisions i reckon i need to pop down and grill a couple of honda garage minions... incidentally as a forum geeza is there any insurance deals or discounts offered to club members on parts as well? ta al

Given your circs, you are better off going for a 7thGen and banking the rest.

Oh, forgot to add, ZERO issues with the I-DTEC engine. It is as bombproof as the petrol engines - if not more.