What's new

Hot rubber small after 30 min drive

Spookie

Members
Reaction score
Car
iDTEC EX ADAS Tourer
Hi All

Every now and again after a 30 minute drive (my normal drive to/from work) I get out of the car and smell hot rubber quite strongly. Is this the DPF regen fallout? I've had a quick look under the car and nothing seems to be amiss. Nothing picked up at service....

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Spookie

How long has this been happening? has the smell of rubber been getting worse when you notice it? where is the strongest smell, at the front, back or inside the car? This will help the other guys narrow it down for you ;) What is your mileage on the car too?

How long has this been happening? has the smell of rubber been getting worse when you notice it? where is the strongest smell, at the front, back or inside the car? This will help the other guys narrow it down for you ;) What is your mileage on the car too?

Car is an 09, 53,000 miles. I only smell this when getting out of the car, and again it is not a regular thing.... I don't drive the car at all hard, just 70 mph on the motorway. No heavy braking, no hard cornering. Running Yokohama tyres as per original fit.

Cheers

Ok, in the last two cars she had, she managed to I-don't-know-how pass over a plastic shopping bag, that got glued to the (hot) exhaust system, right in the middle of the car.
She did the same with the present one. lol
It smells quite a lot, when it's hot.

Jason can you pin point the location of the smell like front or rear of the car.It might well be a bag as its happened in the past.
Also look at your rear callipers as these might be sticking causing the pads to stick to your disks.
The 7th gen has this problem and also it looks like the 8th gen is the same by what iv heard.