What's new

How To Guide: Preparing an MP3 USB Hard Disk

gibaccord

Members
Reaction score
Car
2010 Accord 2.0
I managed to get a 200GB hard disk working off the USB in the Accord this weekend so thought I would post a little guide to help those of you might want to do the same

1: First thing you need is a USB hard disk; one of the laptop sized ones with no power supply. I had an old 200 GB IDE laptop disk lying around so I just bought an enclosure for it for £12

2: You need to format the disk in FAT32 format as the car will not read the newer NTFS format used by Windows 7 and the like. To do this you need to download a utility such as Fat 32 Format.

I used this one http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

You basically plug in the USB drive into a PC and format it using the utility.

I tried it under Windows XP SP3 and it worked fine.

3: Copy your Mp3 folders on the hard disk, I’ve copied around 80GB and 400 folders and so far so good. From other posts I understand that the car reads the folders in the order written so you may need to defrag the hard disk when adding new material.

Hope this helps!

Note: This information with my best intentions but is provided as is and with no guarantees that it will work or incur data loss etc.

Blimey how many years would it take to listen to all that? Good guide mate :)

Another good format utility is "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool".

HTH

This is epic!

Although I dont think I'd ever listen to every single track!!

This is epic!

Although I dont think I'd ever listen to every single track!!

thanks guys although it worked i actually went back to a 2gb stick, just too many tracks to manage !

good for a long long trip though

3: Copy your Mp3 folders on the hard disk, I’ve copied around 80GB and 400 folders and so far so good. From other posts I understand that the car reads the folders in the order written so you may need to defrag the hard disk when adding new material.

Just to add a small update to this, if you like your folders in alphabetical order (Yes I'm sad I know :blink: ) then the wee program below is spot on and sorts the usb drive in seconds..

MP3 Dir Sorter