What's new

Humming /bussing noise from the front!

SCOTTP999

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 CTDI TOURER
Hi guys

Just had the compliance bushes, droplinks and suspension fork bushes done on my 04 Tourer -long overdue!! Suspension is nice and tight.

However, I noticed a humming from the front before I got this done - very slight road noise. This has got worse since my work was done -it starts around 40mph and gets worse the faster you go-noise seems to come from both the front wheel areas.

Its not the gearbox or clutch as Ive taken it out of gear and the noise is still there- it gets worse on certain road levels but mysteriously, if I am taking a right bend at a decent speed, it goes away then comes back as soon as I straighten the wheels again.

I do have the "wobble" at 30mph and 60mph which indicates the shafts may be worn but my mechanic checked them and couldnt find any unusual play(although after reading the forum I know this is no guarantee) and despite my bushes being worn the past few months, there is no uneven wear on the tyres to indicate alignment problems.

Im stumped! Please help! :ph34r:

scott

It is your O/S front wheel bearing by the sound of it. As you go round a right hand bend the pressure is taken off the off side so bearing goes quiet ;)

Thanks Cliff

The noise had me fooled for a bit but it is coming from the front O/S - Ill get the bearing changed asap (hopefully it may cure the "wobble" and avoid me having to change the shafts!)

cheers mate :D

It is your O/S front wheel bearing by the sound of it. As you go round a right hand bend the pressure is taken off the off side so bearing goes quiet ;)

Cliff

had the car on the ramps and tried the wheel to see if any play to show worn bearing- tried my hardest but no freeplay!

does this mean it is not the bearing or simply it hasnt loosened off yet?

cheers

sounds like bearing, but diagnosing is more difficult because it doesn't have to have play init to be humming as I found out when I changed the rear one there was no play I could find but it was bad enough to know it was the bearing and which side.

If its not bad I would give it a few more k's then it'll become obvious.

Have you checked tyre pressures and what brand tyres you using.

Hi Salim

They are Dunlops on the front - humming on recently happened and got worse when I had my bushes done with the suspension now being nice and tight!

Its deffo coming from the driver side so may take your advice and give it another month- I also have the wobble at 30 and 60 so will likely be replacing the shaft at the same time-~!

cheers
sounds like bearing, but diagnosing is more difficult because it doesn't have to have play init to be humming as I found out when I changed the rear one there was no play I could find but it was bad enough to know it was the bearing and which side.

If its not bad I would give it a few more k's then it'll become obvious.

Have you checked tyre pressures and what brand tyres you using.