What's new

iDtec Fuel Filter change Take 1: Help!

deeno1975

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord I Dtec
iDtec Fuel Filter change Take 1: Help!!!

The story

Got some time today and went to change the fuel filter for my 2.2 iDtec Accord

1. Disconnect Battery. Easy

2. Removed the cross member. Easy

3. Undid the nut holding the fuse box. Opened the fuse box and removed the 2 input wires thus allowing the fuse box to be put to one side out of the way. Easy

4. Removed the bolts holding the fuel pipes. One at the top and one at the back and pull pipes free. Careful not to drop bolts. Memo to self, next time have a cloth ready to soak up fuel spillage. Easy enough.

5. Unplugged sensors from around the bracket. Fiddly to get at but got there in the end.

6. Now undid 3 bolts at the front holding the fuel bracket to the body. 10 mm bolts. Tricky and fiddly to get at as not a lot of room and I didn’t want to round the bolts but got there in the end.

7. I then thought (in my naivety) that the fuel bracket would come free but oh how wrong I was. I couldn’t get the bracket free. After a lot of huffing, puffing, skin and tears I discovered there was another bolt on the far side between the filter and the bulk head. I couldn’t see it as it is hidden (thanks Honda engineers) but I could feel it. I then got my iPhone and took a photo and there it was, buried and partially obscured by a wiring. I then tried by using a socket bar and universal joint but I could not get the socket onto the bolt. I couldn’t see what I was doing as the space is so limited and I couldn’t get on that bolt. This is where I spent a few hours, back and forth, loosing skin and patience and due to time constraints I waved the white flag, tucked my fuel filter between my legs and abandoned ship. Nightmare.
FilterBolt.jpg

I put everything back together which was not too bad to do and she started fine.

My question is how is that bolt supposed to be removed (never mind being able to put it back on!!!)???? If a person was triple jointed with an eye ball at the end of their finger and could see in the dark and was 3 inches in height then yes it would be possible!!!!
Any help, advice, comments are welcome. If I am successful then I’ll do a proper write up.
Thanks

Is that not the famous hidden bolt that needs to be slackened to get the filter out.

Is that not the famous hidden bolt that needs to be slackened to get the filter out.

Hi and thanks Quirrel,

Does that mean it needs to be slackened but not removed? As removing it would make it nearly impossible to reseat the bolt. Need to be sure of this as I dont want to do a Take 2 unless I'm sure and certain of getting the job done.

Nice write up dude and good work making notes for other members. Rep point coming your way

I'm sure someone will have an answer for your question

I'm no expert, but it sounds similar to the bolt behind the fuel filter on the preface lift as well. Sod to get to, had to use two extensions and a universal, and give it a few turns to slacken off but not remove.

Have a look at the one at the top of this forum section and see if it's similar.

To answer my own question, after inquiring, it turns out that the fuel filter is changed with the filter holder in situ. A special tool is required to remove the filter cover so that it can be removed.

The filter is simply bled from the drain plug and then the filter cover is removed.

Stand by for more updates...

Kindly disregard the steps that I have in my first post as they are not required!!!! :( :( :( :(