What's new

independent free standing car interior heater ?? Only for winter !

jimbojim

Reaction score
Car
05 accord tourer 2.4
Hi all,
has anyone got any ideas as to keeping an independent low powered heater inside the car ????????? I will explain :-
about 30 40 years ago I used to have a very small paraffin lamp/light which I would light and leave lit overnight in the rear of my Ford Transit van - this made sure that 1st thing in the morning no matter what the weather it was warm and all the windows were clear, it was a working van so the slight smell of paraffin was not too bad (Esso Blue) so what I am trying to do is find some method of keeping the interior of my car heated - NOT hot but enough that the windows are clear and the sat nav works right away as in cold daI have seen on Fleabaymp weather I get condensation inside the car and the on the sat nav magic eye so it takes around 5 mins for the nav to read the disc - this only happens in proper winter cold/damp weather and its starting to get on my nerves !
What I was thinking is :- a small separate sealed Yuasu type 12 volt battery NOT connected to the car and some form of low wattage heater of some kind - The battery could be charged with a solar panel which I already have but don`t use - I have seen on fleebay a small 12 volt fan heater (from China) for around £12 but I think this would drain the battery too fast - Think something Very low current drain - like they use for hatching out birds eggs, also they used to put a 40 watt bulb underneath a seed tray to germinate seeds ! You can also buy a battery operated heated windscreen scraper but this I dont think would give off enough heat.
Any ideas as to what could be designed/made to do this !
There are some very clever knowledgeable people on here - so come on people lets have some ideas ! Just imagine in the depths of winter, getting in a nice warm car without having to de-ice the windows - get in turn off the heater and drive away ---- Bliss, lets see what (if anything) can be done - we can put men on the moon ! So this should be a simple task :)

Good luck and thanks in advance

Hi Channel Hopper, very interesting but I presume would be very expensive and very complicated for what I need - Just one question - where did the heaters get there power from ? It looks like they are connected somehow to the vehicle itself - my needs would be totally independent from the car itself - Solar charger to separate battery to heater/fan unit - the fan from an old computer seems a possibility, slow running low power but that still leaves the heating element itself !
Thanks for the info - looks like I am back to the small paraffin light/lamp ;)

not that I recommend it, but my boss used to have an old j70 land cruiser with a jøtul wood fire oven in the back, chimney out the roof and all

the sky is the limit

defa warmup block + cabin heater is a bit less intrusive though, but you do need mains power for it

Hi Channel Hopper, very interesting but I presume would be very expensive and very complicated for what I need - Just one question - where did the heaters get there power from ? It looks like they are connected somehow to the vehicle itself - my needs would be totally independent from the car itself - Solar charger to separate battery to heater/fan unit - the fan from an old computer seems a possibility, slow running low power but that still leaves the heating element itself !
Thanks for the info - looks like I am back to the small paraffin light/lamp ;)

No, only certain models had an inbuilt heater, many Tatras had an independent unit (stored under the front seat) that could be remoed for refilling and servicing.

I'm not knowledgable on these things, you could look through website reviews on campervan sites, the neighbour had one that ran off propane/propex.

not that I recommend it, but my boss used to have an old j70 land cruiser with a jøtul wood fire oven in the back, chimney out the roof and all

the sky is the limit

defa warmup block + cabin heater is a bit less intrusive though, but you do need mains power for it
I did think of burning our bed mattress in the boot after soaking it in water first (slow burn to make it last) but the wife said "what are we going to sleep on ? "
Having said that - its winter and all the leaves are now on the ground and damp so this may be the way to go and it would keep the wife happy (well nearly) ;)

I did think of burning our bed mattress in the boot after soaking it in water first (slow burn to make it last) but the wife said "what are we going to sleep on ? "
Having said that - its winter and all the leaves are now on the ground and damp so this may be the way to go and it would keep the wife happy (well nearly) ;)

I found sweeping the leaves under the van dries them out a bit, perhaps your wife prefers to be a bit moist at bed-time.