What's new

"Juddering" in the 2.4 auto

rob_86

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4
Hi guys, I remember seeing something in the last forum about someone having a "Shudder" or "judder" in their 2.4 - I got the impression it might be a common problem - does anyone know if this is the case? I seem to be getting a judder in 3rd gear when on a light throttle, as if it is undecided about which to go to or is struggling to get into 4th. Does anyone have any more information or recommendations?
Cheers,
Rob

Don't remember this on the old forum, but obviously check your transmission fluid level first.

I have the same problem on my 03 tourer auto!

Im currently in ''research mode'' lol

Only problem is it usually ends up costing a small fortune!

I'll post if I find out the solution.

Cheers.

Hi Guys

Realise its an old post but did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I've had the same problem for over two years in my 2.4 auto tourer (owned the car for four years plus and it was fine when I got it).

I find the 'judder' occurs around 1800rpm. 100rpm either side and it stops ...... ?!?

Had it in my local Honda dealers and got a software upgrade at the time but no difference. Wheels are balanced, tracking is spot on and frsh oil in the gearbox.

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

Tony

All thoughts welcome.

Just a guess, it is consistent at 1800 RPM or at a particular speed? Could it be a sticking brake caliper?

Had this with another car it was auto, always seems to have it on the same stretch of road, but thought it was an engine/road problem. Turned out that before getting onto the road, I would sit a lights for 2-3 minutes holding the brake, then off I would go. The caliper was sticking and giving a "judder" in the cabin, that felt like balancing, tyre problems, engine problems, etc. Once I went beyond the speed (RPM, etc, it would disappear as the caliper would heat-up and float off.

Took ages to actually find! :)

Just a guess, it is consistent at 1800 RPM or at a particular speed? Could it be a sticking brake caliper?

Had this with another car it was auto, always seems to have it on the same stretch of road, but thought it was an engine/road problem. Turned out that before getting onto the road, I would sit a lights for 2-3 minutes holding the brake, then off I would go. The caliper was sticking and giving a "judder" in the cabin, that felt like balancing, tyre problems, engine problems, etc. Once I went beyond the speed (RPM, etc, it would disappear as the caliper would heat-up and float off.

Took ages to actually find! :)

Humm, that's a very good information B)

Hi guys, sorry I thought I had replied to this months ago. The issue turned out to be that the transmission fluid was "sunflower yellow" colour. Essentially we think it is the same fluid that was there from new (or very close to). Add to this the fact that the car wasn't driven for 6-8 months before I got it (the previous owner had a sportier car that he preferred) so the fluid had sat around for a long period of time.

I took it to my mechanic in the spring who ran diagnostics and found nothing wrong with it. He felt the judder when driving but couldn't place it. I asked him to replace the fluid and the results were instantaneous. If you are having similar issues I strongly suggest going down this route (though I'd advise running diagnostics first just in case). 8 or so months down the line and the car still feels super smooth. I haven't tried much manual shifting, but when I do (normally overtaking moves) there are no hesitations or judders there either.

I hope this helps, any questions please shout.
Cheers,
Rob