What's new

Looking to buy Accord 2.4 i VTEC Type S 5dr - advice?

Aspalar

Members
Reaction score
Car
A Mitsubishi oh no!
Hey, just joined and posted in welcome :)

As ***le says I'm looking to buy. Seen what I think is a nice example with only 56k on the clock.

Can anybody tell me what to look for or what to watch out for? Been a long time since I have had a Honda, been a Subaru then Mitsubishi guy for a few years now. Car is super tidy but beyond that I really don't know what to look out for or ask about on a 10 year old car of this type despite the very low mileage for age. Any help is really appreciated!

Breathe in and......
***uming this is the estate first thing to check is the electric boot mechanism works! Listen for knocks etc on the test drive and make sure it steers straight etc.
The accords are very sensitive to wheel alignment and tyre choice and will suffer from worn compliance bushes etc at some point.
Check for any lights on the dash and make sure the warning light, abs light and vsa all come on and go off within a few seconds of turning the key.
Keep an ear out for whiny p/steering pump and any alternator noise.
Make sure to check over the history, oil changes are important as would be a gearbox oil change at that age/mileage.
Other than a good visual check over I would give it a good booting and make sure the vtec engages at 6k and it stops promptly in a straight line. Also get your hand on all four wheels but especially the rear after a drive to check for Hondas favourite - siezed calipers

Breathe out - phew !

Yes it is the estate. Thanks so much - info I wouldn't have known there (although steers straight and p/steering - you talking about my current Mitsubishi Galant 03 lol?) Seriously though thank you, so out of the loop with Hondas for so many years now. With this info I will have a good look, eye on vtec on and off, wheel wobble after drive with caliper check as well as the usuals :) Hopefully will be a pass!

*edit* mainly buying because of my 2 dogs, I ***ume there is a manual release for boot if electric mechanism is duff? Obv hope not the case but the more you know right?

*edit #2* what would be a rough estimate of a reasonable price for Accord 2.4 i VTEC Type S 5dr? Mileage is so low for age I just wanna see if there may be some reason for price as other manufacturers I have looked at generally have MUCH higher mileage for price. (Subaru Legacy etc).

Again, thanks for any help!

Not sure on the release it's been a very long time since i drove a tourer.
With regards to the other question, you haven't mentioned the reg/year but based on a '06 plate with that mileage and if the history is good and the car in tip top condition it would probably be around the 5k mark on a dealer forecourt. Add another 500 if it's a Honda forecourt.

OK. 07 so near enough, just seemed cheap for mileage compared to some other things. Looks like and described as tip top but yet to touch it so we'll see... Thanks again :)

One last question - as it may be clutch time do these have the dual mass flywheels? I can only see that the CDTi ones do from google so far...

no normal flywheel, at that mileage clutch should be no problem (unless it's been driven hard all it's life). The oem clutches tend to last around 80k

Updates are much appreciated

sent using tapatalk

i know that car he is talking about sold, my mate wanted to buy it last saturday morning

so maybe he bought it. hell of a car.

facelift typeS tourer in black, if i didnt have my cw2 i would have certainly bought it