What's new

Low pitch humming noise

Wagsy-vtec

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord sport cl7
Hey folks. Having a small problem with something related to the car. Ive aquired a set of pentas for it, and had 2 tyres replaced with Hankook v12 evo's, but 2 of the tyres had enough tread so kept them on (pirelli p7000's).

It was only yesterday when i noticed the low pitched humming/droning noise. The car has 86k on the clock, as i say ive only got the wheels at the weekend, and replaced 2 tyres on tuesday. 2 tyres are hankook evo v12's (brand new), the others are pirelli p7000's (on the wheels when i got them). Ive heard the pirelli's are pretty poor when it comes to road noise as it just gets worse as they wear on.

The car will be due a service, but before i get it to honda for it, if anyone could shed any light on this i would be grateful.

its your tyres mate

i have the same noise and have got all the wheel bearings checked

its down to the tyres and thread pattern

Correct it is the tyres , my Honda's a taxi and I only ever buy part worn tyres for it , some are okay but others give off terrible road noise and do sound like a wheel bearing has gone but its not its the tyre

Thanks guys. Ive heard some real bad reviews about pirelli p7000's. REAL sensitive to tracking being out, noise only gets worse through wear. Ill switch them to the front when the weather breaks up. And bear the brunt till i get paid.

99 percent its your tyers.

Just to pick up this thread, I had the same issue - humming noise from the back of the car at speed - but this disappeared after I rotated my tyres at the weekend. So along with everyone else's experience here, definitely check the tyres first before ***uming it's the wheel bearing.

How much tread was on them and what brand are they Ben?

I was convinced my wheel bearings had gone on the rear but then I changed my alloys and the noise was gone so I would rule out tyres first.

How much tread was on them and what brand are they Ben?
Hi Dan, they are Michelin EnergySavers (on 16" OE rims). The tread is excellent - at least 5mm - and the tyre in good condition although now it's at the front, the same wheel is making a different kind of higher pitched humming sound. You can hear it more clearly on the quieter tarmac at motorway speeds. I've been wondering if the tyre has been fitted to the rim the right way round i.e. in the correct rotational direction. I keep meaning to check but haven't yet. It could explain the noise.

I sold my last car (VW Bora diesel) to an ex-Honda dealer salesman, and he said lots of positive things about the Accord but he did add that the heavy front-end meant that it was extremely hard on its tyres and brakes. Having rotated the wheels, I can see what he means. The difference in tread was extraordinary from a matched set - 5-6mm left on the rears with the fronts down to around 2-3mm. The rears do nothing at all!