What's new

Lumpy idle and stalling F20B6 - Help!

ChrisC78

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen 2.0 LS Auto
I've got my MOT coming up next month and I really need to do something about my car's lumpy idle...

It's fine when cold and starts up and runs smoothly. When it's warm it's a pain in the backside - lumpy idle and stalling when pulling up at traffic lights etc. If I've been driving for about 20 miles or so and everything is fully hot, then it's ok - but still has a less than even idle.

I've captured a short video that shows it start up fine, slow down and then get lumpy with the engine wobbling about so much it throws off my phone camera's image stabiliser! Blipped the throttle a couple of times and you can see what happens.

https://youtu.be/IjOnVPg2AsU

I can hear what I presume to be the IACV 'clicking' sometimes - presumably opening and closing. I've just squirted it with some carb cleaner to see if it was sticky, but no better.
I've had the throttle body and IACV off last Autumn for cleaning - opening the butterfly shows it's still clean inside. I also opened and cleaned the EGR plate at the same time.

Spark plugs are clean, leads are new as is the distributor cap.

As soon as the throttle is opened the engine runs sweetly with no problems - it's just the idle that's at fault.

Any advice and ***istance will be greatly appreciated!

Resetting your ECU may well cure the rough idle......if not you should be looking at the throttle body again.

Good luck with the MOT :)