What's new

Meshing lower part of front bumper

-Rich-

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 Tourer Auto
I am going to fit a new condenser soon and want to mesh the front bumper cos it's abit too open for my liking and not offering any protection.

Has anyone done this? What mesh did you use, where from and how did you attached it?

Not had the bumper off yet to see but I'll be keeping the standard grille on and just putting the mesh behind it.

I recall a member selling mesh grills, it's worth doing Imo. You can fix it with cable ties?

I've had a search but can't find anything.

There is this on ebay but I'm not sure on the size until I've measured it. If I do the offer it works out at £25.50 delivered for 3 sheets, which seems a good price so could always attach them together.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Aluminium-Mesh-Grill-Kamei-look-BMW-M3-M5-Z3-Z4-X3-X5-X6-/220892195890?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336e336c32

Using cable ties in the middle will be fine, they can go around the standard grille but it's around the edge, I don't think there will be anywhere to use them?

I can't remember what hole size I've got but defo it's more than 5mm x 12mm, anyway I used hot glue to attached mesh to the bumper and here's result
601C0765-A693-4B40-87BC-3DA8924E48D3-5556-000007EEAD5078D3_zps0a034377.jpg

Looks good mate, so the glue holds it ok? Have you removed the standard plastic grille, did it make it easier to fit the mesh?

I'm thinking about doing this too and I was going to put in a better FMIC. I've only just joined the forum, is there a thread with any tips on fitting a bigger intercooler? The meshed grille in the picture looks great.

-Rich- said:
Looks good mate, so the glue holds it ok? Have you removed the standard plastic grille, did it make it easier to fit the mesh?
I had to remove plastic grille because I didn't have enough room for fmic and yes hot glue holds it great without any nasty drilling in the bumper or zip ties ;-)
jtopps said:
I'm thinking about doing this too and I was going to put in a better FMIC. I've only just joined the forum, is there a thread with any tips on fitting a bigger intercooler? The meshed grille in the picture looks great.
I didn't do any DIY or something about fmic, but some pics can be found in my tread, but if you have any questions I'm happy to help ;-)

As I was only doing this to protect the condenser rather than styling I opted for some gutter guard - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackspur-BB-GM100-Gutter-Mesh/dp/B005EXIMPI/ref=pd_sim_lp_21?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XEJXKB2F5QNT3Z658Z4

It's obviously not as strong as metal but I doubled it up and attached it to the existing grille with cable ties. A few additional holes had to be drilled so I could fix it on properly. Time will tell as to whether it holds up but at £2 it was worth a try and you can't even see it on the car :)

post-438-0-05186500-1406878103.jpg

post-438-0-43098800-1406878104.jpg

Yours is more visible though Wozza, for that purpose I would've used metal mesh as well :)

I think this gutter guard should be fine for stones, hopefully they won't split it but it'll definitely keep the wet leaves and feathers away.