What's new

might need new front disks

vile

T A Terminator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
8th gen 2.4 Manual
Just to confirm about the last couple of weeks when driving on the motorway im getting wobble through the steering wheel when braking.
It only happens now and again depending on speed and road surface.Under 50 MPH its fine and around town.
Im also getting a slight vibration on the brake peddle when the wobble happens.
Iv checked pads and are fine but what im thinking the disks and pads have only done 20k :(
But of course they are after market EBC slotted and grooved.
If i remember Salim had warping problems with these disks.Or could this be something else causing this.

My wifes Mini had something similar but her vibration happened at any speed when braking. I measured the disc thickness and it was 20.4mm which on checking was the minimum thickness. I put on new discs and pads and flushed the brake fluid with new and it was good as new. BMW wanted £95 just to flush the brake fluid. I did the whole lot (discs, pads and fluid) for £95!

I doubt though that after 20k the discs would need replacing but if they've warped may give the same sensation. Do you have any way of measuring the disc run out?

Was this post moved as when I posted the above it said the thread had been deleted! Found it again though.

On a disc run out would confirm if the disc are warped definatively, but if I had money on it it will be the disc which are shot.
My thoughts as well mate.The cars going into my mates for an MOT Friday so ill get im to have a quick look.
If it is the disks i think i will give HH a call and go back to stock.As 20k in my book is poor for disks to go.

Was this post moved as when I posted the above it said the thread had been deleted! Found it again though.
Yep sorry Paul that was me moving it to a more suitable section :lol:
As for measuring for disk run-out Paul ill get my mate to look.

Good link CJ but at that price ill get new disks ;) Dont tell though you have one :rolleyes:

nope mate I just change pads and disc at the same time no need for run out !! new parts end of story. I can be asked troubleshooting I want guaranteed performance. Strip clean the calipers too
That my next job then sorted i just cant believe iv only done 20k.

I suppose the only time it's worth checking would be if you're not 100% if it is the discs. Potentially you could replace them and still have the same problem.

On a separate note got your email CJ with HH code on and have a price for new pads. Cheers.

If you mean the dimpled and grooven discs then yes Brett I had warping issues with them, the newer grooved only ones I replaced them with have been on for yonks and no issues if that helps. noticed Fahad has them too when I was at his place.

My advice would be blanks discs with uprated pads if needed, and twin caliper if you need more.

Also side note it could be driveshaft aswell, not sure though but warped discs would be something you could replicate easily.

cheers salim and yes mate it is the dimpled and grooved ones.
I think simple solution and cheapest is change the pads and disks.

if your getting vibrations chances are youve warped the discs this isnt a major problem just vibrates alot when braking and there are either 2 ways of fixing this warm the brakes up slowly and then brake hard to get them warm and then brake softly after this should soften up the discs and straighten them a bit i had this problem with my wilwoods and the cause for warping is braking hard and stopping and not letting the discs cool properly and then the disc sags hope this help

if your getting vibrations chances are youve warped the discs this isnt a major problem just vibrates alot when braking and there are either 2 ways of fixing this warm the brakes up slowly and then brake hard to get them warm and then brake softly after this should soften up the discs and straighten them a bit i had this problem with my wilwoods and the cause for warping is braking hard and stopping and not letting the discs cool properly and then the disc sags hope this help
Cheers mate for your input but the car has been sold now lol

Speaking of which, went into Honda Letchworth yesterday, took a glancing look at a new 8th gen in the showroom on the way to the spares desk...

Sales dude nearly handcuffed me to the door pillar :lol: