What's new

Mk7 vs Mk8 Tourer

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how the boot dimensions vary between the Mk7 & Mk8 Tourers?

I know the Mk8 has more of a slope in the tailgate which I presume will reduce the overall capacity but how different is the length from the back of the rear seat to the back of the boot?

Reason I ask Is I currently have a Mk7 and my wife’s mobility scooter just fits in the boot lengthways without splitting it which makes it very convenient.

The car is getting very tired and so thinking about a replacement and wondered if a Mk8 would be a suitable option?

2008 2.2 I-DTEC dimensions here:

BOOT
Length of boot floor - back row of seats folded down or removed
1930mm
Length of boot floor - back row of seats upright
1079mm
Vertical height of boot opening
713mm
Boot sill height to floor of car
0mm
Boot sill height to ground
596mm
Width of boot floor at narrowest point
785mm
Width of boot opening - bottom
1080mm

2008 2.2 I-DTEC dimensions here:

BOOT
Length of boot floor - back row of seats folded down or removed
1930mm
Length of boot floor - back row of seats upright
1079mm
Vertical height of boot opening
713mm
Boot sill height to floor of car
0mm
Boot sill height to ground
596mm
Width of boot floor at narrowest point
785mm
Width of boot opening - bottom
1080mm

thanks

If it just fits in a Mk7 Tourer it won't go anywhere near a Mk8.
I have had both and the Mk7 is cavernous compared to the Mk8.
Mk8 is more of a hatchback than a proper Tourer in my estimation.

Its a very different car, I loved the Mk7 size and carrying capacity, however due to a number of factors including being rear ended and writing it off, I changed to a Mk8 Type S Tourer and while I do miss the boot size and passenger leg room of the Mk7 tourer, the extra power and better handling of the Mk8 is very hard to put aside, couple that with Fahads remap of the Type S to 230 and the balance as as a drivers car has swung to the Mk8.
I do appreciate that not everyone has the luxury of forgoing the big boot of the Mk7 but if you don't really need the boot volume then the Mk8 is worth a look.

Whilst not trying to tempt you to the dark side, my Tourer purchase was determined by the price at the showroom, though when I ws looking I had the choice of the Peugeot 407 and Citroen C5 estates, booth of which looked like similar capacity for carrying masses of junk with ease.

Depending on how mine gets through its MOT next month then a replacement may be required and Skoda Superb is currently looking like the best in terms of luggage capacity !

Have you looked at a Mondeo Estate? They have a decent boot, I think the Superb is a class leader in terms of size though.

Whilst not trying to tempt you to the dark side, my Tourer purchase was determined by the price at the showroom, though when I ws looking I had the choice of the Peugeot 407 and Citroen C5 estates, booth of which looked like similar capacity for carrying masses of junk with ease.
You can't be serious about a Renault or a Peugeot. I don't know about the boot, the wheels are carrying loads of junk!!!

No problem, only had good experience with Citroen , a Renault I once had caught fire for no reason (dashboard electrics on 25 Famille from memory)

Last edited:
Its a very different car, I loved the Mk7 size and carrying capacity, however due to a number of factors including being rear ended and writing it off, I changed to a Mk8 Type S Tourer and while I do miss the boot size and passenger leg room of the Mk7 tourer, the extra power and better handling of the Mk8 is very hard to put aside, couple that with Fahads remap of the Type S to 230 and the balance as as a drivers car has swung to the Mk8.
I do appreciate that not everyone has the luxury of forgoing the big boot of the Mk7 but if you don't really need the boot volume then the Mk8 is worth a look.
Hope that these guys will help me do it some time soon.
I have never driven an MK7 but the new MK8 is awesome :)

Last edited: