What's new

Need new tyres

blueagle

Members
Reaction score
Car
GT 2.2 i-CTDI
Hi guys, took my car for MOT yesterday and it failed but there isn't anything major or nothing wrong with the car technically. It needs a bulb and a front driver side new tyre. The guy told me passenger side front tyre is close to the limit too so I'm thinking I'll get those two replaced. He also told me one of the back one has got a nail in it but he said its right in the middle so I could get that tyre repaired.
What would you suggest? Shall I change all 4 or just two front ones? The tread on back ones seems to be pretty good. Not in a position to spend a lot on tyre because changing houses at the moment so my wallet is as slim as it can be. I need 225/45 Z R17 tyres.

A proper puncture repair should be fine, I wouldn't waste your money changing the back 2 if you don't need to. You're right in changing both the fronts at the same time though. My need changing soon and I'm going to go for these again http://www.neobrothers.co.uk/neuton-nt5000-tyre-22545zr17-p-768.html good tyres for the price.

A proper puncture repair should be fine, I wouldn't waste your money changing the back 2 if you don't need to. You're right in changing both the fronts at the same time though. My need changing soon and I'm going to go for these again http://www.neobrothers.co.uk/neuton-nt5000-tyre-22545zr17-p-768.html good tyres for the price.

Hi Nick, Thanks for your quick response. Those tyres are quite reasonably priced and I'm happy to pay that sorta price. Do you know how much usually the tyres fitting places charge to fit the tyres not bought from them?

Hi Nick, Thanks for your quick response. Those tyres are quite reasonably priced and I'm happy to pay that sorta price. Do you know how much usually the tyres fitting places charge to fit the tyres not bought from them?

Depends where you go. There are loads of independent little tyre firms around everywhere, I'd avoid any chains. Give them a ring and ask first, last time I was charged £8 a corner for removal, fitting, new valves and balancing.

Sorry to be a pain but what's the difference between these two? What's n/d and w/d?

http://www.neobrothers.co.uk/neuton-nt5000-tyre-22545zr17-p-768.html

1x Neuton NT5000 ty [1x 225/45/ZR17 94W n/d] £58.43
1x Neuton NT5000 ty [1x 225/45/ZR17 94W w/d] £62.00

I'm defo going for these, read few reviews on internet and they seem to be pretty good.

Sorry to be a pain but what's the difference between these two? What's n/d and w/d?

http://www.neobrothers.co.uk/neuton-nt5000-tyre-22545zr17-p-768.html

1x Neuton NT5000 ty [1x 225/45/ZR17 94W n/d] £58.43
1x Neuton NT5000 ty [1x 225/45/ZR17 94W w/d] £62.00

I'm defo going for these, read few reviews on internet and they seem to be pretty good.

N/D and W/D is a technical term specifically derived from the production and vulcanisation of new tyres. It means Not Delivered or With Delivery i.e posted! ;)

Report back on how you find them once fitted.

Report back on how you find them once fitted.

Hi Nick, Many thanks for your help. I've ordered two tyres, the local tyre shop would charge me £15 to fit new tyres, they'll change valves and would do the balancing as well. Forgot to ask them if they'll be able to repair the puncture but that's something I'll sort out when I'll take the car out for new tyres fitting, its parked up now because MOT has expired.
Another thing which I need some advise on, MOT tester told me the front lights are aiming too high and apparently they're frozen because changing the numbering inside doesn't lower the aim. Is there anything I could do to fix this? If not then I'll have to ask them to fix it.

Ok guys wanted to give you an update about my new tyres order. I ordered them and they arrived within 48 hours. Tyres seems pretty good and the guy who fitted them I asked him and even he said they're good tyres but only time would tell. Got the MOT test done and car is back on the road. :)
Nick once again thanks for your help!

Ok guys wanted to give you an update about my new tyres order. I ordered them and they arrived within 48 hours. Tyres seems pretty good and the guy who fitted them I asked him and even he said they're good tyres but only time would tell. Got the MOT test done and car is back on the road. :)
Nick once again thanks for your help!

No Problem Buddy.

One thing I should had added which really impressed me about these tyres is the "wall" to protect the alloy wheels. Its a very clever nice touch to these allows. Its couple of cms thick which means if and when I'm too close to the curb, tyres would be able to take the hammering rather than scrapping my alloy wheels. Drove to work this morning and car has got much better grip and breaks are much more responsive now.