What's new

Noob Help

PeeJay

Members
Reaction score
Car
None
Sorry, I bet this is a really well known problem and has been asked many times but I couldn't find a thread for it.

I've had my Accord (2005 Diesel Exec Est.) for 2 days now. I bought it from a very small independent dealer (nice bloke working out of his home) anyway during the hand-over he went through a few of the operations and handed me a poly pocket of things, including the Sat-Nav DVD.

I drove away a happy man, thinking of how nice it will be to drive to Loire with my family in June in my 'new' car and how quiet it was compared to my old Passat.

Anyway, I found the little hatch where the DVD drive is tucked away (after ***uring my son it wouldn't play his Ben10 DVD) and slid in the Nav disc. The screen fired up a shot saying "Honda Navigation" then a longish script about how not to drive like an idiot etc. Reading some other threads I think I'm meant to agree to this, but I don't see any 'ok' button on the screen and pressing he joystick thing down does nothing. I left it for a while and entertained myself setting up the radio / heating etc.

I pressed the 'info' button after a while to try to access MPG etc and it goes back to the 'not driving like an idiot' scrip with a grey box over saying something like "DVD not readable".

I ***ume it's broken in some fashion, I've googled the problem and read about people sliding rulers wrapped with baby wipes into the drive to try to clean it, but that seems a bit like it might do more damage than good to me.

Is this a common fault with a common solution?

no mpg on yours bud... if there was it would be in the odometer.

have you tried cleaning the dvd?

pushing the joystick is ENTER but you should see a button on the bottom right of the screen.

Thanks both,

Ahhh, so I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. When I was searching for what to buy a lot of people were ether raving about the MPG they get from theirs, or moaning they couldn't get the figures Honda said they could - ***umed it was something you could see on the dash - nevermind.

Yes, cleaned the disc and there's no scratches or anything. I fancy the DVD drive is faulty, it makes the same sort of noise my old CD player did when the laser couldn't find the right grove. If it's not a common fault I might have to take it to Honda for a look.

:lol:

They were talking about the efficiency of the engines bud. the facelift version of the car does have dual trip computers WITH real-time and average MPG figures... Your car is pre facelift though so there are differences - there is a pinned topic with the differences outlined.
Bad news about the disc drive though.

Yes, cleaned the disc and there's no scratches or anything. I fancy the DVD drive is faulty, it makes the same sort of noise my old CD player did when the laser couldn't find the right grove. If it's not a common fault I might have to take it to Honda for a look.
Do you know anyone else with a similar spec Accord? If so, you could borrow their DVD just to see if your drive is faulty. Or maybe if your dealer is friendly he might let you try one from his secondhand stock?

Just clean the lens mate, the ruler with a baby wipe will do the trick if you don't want to disassemble the dvd drive and clean it with a cotton bud. That's a common fault with the satnav, and my personal advice is go and buy a tomtom satnav, a LOT better to be honest, the built-in satnav is rubbish anyway