What's new

OE HID Headlight Aim

DavidWatkin

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 Tourer ADAS
Hi Guys, New to the Type 7. Just bought a MY57 2.4 Tourer with ADAS etc. Excellent.

b4 that I had a 1996 2.0es and also a 2000 2.0 Coupe. I do like my Accords!

I have a problem with the OE HIDs. Actually not my problem, everybody else's!

Low Beam HID Lights are aimed almost level, when you draw up behind a normal height car at traffic lights vertical cut off is just above their number plate- ie about 2' 6" off the ground.

Following almost any car (small / large/ 4x4) over an undulating road results in them getting a facefull in the mirror. MX5s and the like get a faceful even on even ground.

Other drivers are obviously flashing me (maybe 2 in a hundred- not even 10%).

The day after I collected it I put it back to the dealer (who had also given it a 12M ticket) and they rechecked and said it was spot on.

There is no manual height adjustment for the OE HID version because there are height correctors attached to the rear subframe.

Any suggestions? I have searched the forum but whilst there are loads of HID conversions there do not seem to be any OE HID discussions. Cheers, Squirrel.

As CJ said and welcome to TA David

You will need to get down to a local garage or a MOT station to see what the headlight in their current position are aimed at .

no amount of manual adjustment can fix that , if the headlights are mounted in the wrong or adjusted incorrectly.

Supplying dealer is a MOT station. They checked it usung all the right gear.

It just seems stupid that they appear to be set legally and are still causing objection.

Pass then buddy without seeing the car cant say alot.there could be a fault with the headlight , HID lamps incorrectly installed, something is missing broken , incorrect adjustment poor diagnosis yada yada.

Maybe you need a second opinion by a clued up Honda dealer, past record have shown dealers in Scotland are completely clueless when you deviate form the common run of mill repairs, they seem to struggle with Honda concepts.This is despite all the Honda training they receive.

Thanks for the information.

This dealer is a VW one but they have Hondas within their franchise, I may have a chat with one of them.

well VW wont have a clue on the LKAS or the ADAS system.. the franchise may have a Honda dealership within the same group , but the technical which looked at your car would be VW and not crossed trained.

I just spoke to the Honda Franchise. They say that they never have problems with aim on the Accord.

The height adjuster is supposed to respond to weight in the car (or a caravan) but is not supposed to keep the lights level when going over undulating ground.

They say that the lights are just really bright and effective.

Apparently there are no adjusting screws in the engine bay, you need to connect it to a computer and alter the range of adjustment of the headlight adjuster lookup table.

They are happy to take a look, in the mean time if you are driving around Glasgow and are dazzled then sorry.

This pic is of my 2.4 Tourer with HIDs.
24TourerHID.jpg

I'd have thought the hole in the middle would be for some sort of trim adjustment given the graphics but what about the other adjusters either side?

Couldn't find anything in the manual.

it is correct that hids are adjusted using a leveling sensor on the subframe. i would suggest you have it checked out. you need to remove the supporting nut and move the lever by hand whilst checking the voltage change at the headlight adjuster controll unit. a garage with access to maris should be able to get all the information nessisary including a voltage range for the ammount of degreese the arm moves on the sensor. things become very complicated with hid's and to be fair, we get verry little problem with them at honda.