Reaction score
Car
honda accord 2.0
hi guys

i have honda accord 2.0 2005 k20 engine
manual suggest api sj or sl oil which is a1b1 spec 5w30 for best fuel economy
but also allows others viscosity from chart 0w30. 0w40 5w30 5w40 10w40
i can see diesel is 0w30 only in a5b5 full saps
previous owner serviced with Honda dealer on 10w40 when this was Honda recommendation
my garage put 5w30 c3 oil

can diesel oil be used as well? car doest burn much at all with87,000 miles

what woul give best long term protection full saps 0w40/5w40 a3/5w30 a5 oils or 5w30 c3 oils?
c3 oils like mobil 1esp have low tbn and calcium and antiwear agents?

thanks all

I have same engine 95k and honda bolton supply me 0/30.First time i bought from them i expected theyd give me 5/30 but the service centre says not.Makes sense really as when cold the 0/30 gets around the engine better.Even in winter no clatter from top super smooth so its doing its job.Which ever oil you choose get genuine honda...dealers aint cheap but you can buy their stuff online.Cox motor spares i think it is supply genuine honda parts/fluids you should save money there
Just to add most fully synthetic oils these days can be used in either petrol or diesel

I have same engine 95k and honda bolton supply me 0/30.First time i bought from them i expected theyd give me 5/30 but the service centre says not.Makes sense really as when cold the 0/30 gets around the engine better.Even in winter no clatter from top super smooth so its doing its job.Which ever oil you choose get genuine honda...dealers aint cheap but you can buy their stuff online.Cox motor spares i think it is supply genuine honda parts/fluids you should save money there
Just to add most fully synthetic oils these days can be used in either petrol or diesel
0w30 is that c3 or A5?

Well it seems there is actually no clear answer to this topic.After reading through other threads here,hondas own website and other suppliers of oils i was just as confused lol.Got me thinking is 0w30 actually giving my k20 the protection it needs given it now 16 years old.Old school logic suggests 0/20 30 oils for modern high performance engines (although hondas own website contradicts by recommending 5w40 now lol) and the thicker higher grades for older worn engines with the odd leak and rattle or three.
Anyway as every other thread here on this topic shows its all about what each owner feels happier putting in their beloved accord.
Im actually concerned about whats flowing through my engine now so i just drove down to ECP and got myself a 5L shell helix ultra 5W 40 A3/B3 fully synthetic oil with bosch filter (P7077).
Decided at £38 and zero cost labour it was worth testing for 2/300 miles.I use the 5W 30 equivelant in my daily 2013 ford mondeo TDCI and its the best oil ive ever put it that.
Back to the accord and just one other thing im curious about is that some members report burning oil but im 12 months on from last service and level is bang on top line,where it was day i filled it.
Right ive an oil change to crack on with..will update later

Well that took longer than it should,just couldn't get any purchase on the oil filter with my removal tools.Its actually rarther small on this car with drive shaft below and exhaust manifold above access is poor.In the end i had to drive a lever through it and it eventually worked loose....not a method i like with the threaded mount from engine inside its possible to cause damage to housing.
Having fitted new filter and filled oil i took it for a quick drive.First impression is good,engine very quiet and feels like its a good choice.Just my opinion and it could change but i will stick with it unless i notice any issues.
I honestly dont now think you could "wreck" your engine whatever you choose...anything 0w/20 to 5w/40 would suffice.For me length of service intervals more important,every 5k tops.

Last edited:
thanks for that was that new formula Shell 5w40 api sn plus? you used? or old sn rated? below new one1597155624365.jpeg

Thats the exact oil i used although the one i bought was 5 litres.You will need 4.2-4.4 litres with new filter fitted.Those lower and upper figures were the top bottom markers on my stick.