What's new

Park brake sensor diagnosis

Jak6

Reaction score
Car
2006 2.0 Executive
I've recently bought a 2006 Euro 2.0 i-VTEC Executive. When buying, the ABS dash light was on. Now the red brake dash light also came on and is not turning off.
From what I understand, these 2 lights are responsible for separate systems, with the brake light connected to the brake fluid reservoir and park brake. So I started the diagnosis with searching for the cause of the brake light.

The brake fluid reservoir is full and disconnecting the level sensor does not turn off the light. There doesn't seem to be any leaks and the brakes are functioning normally. I also checked that all the brake bulbs are working in the back.

So then I inspected the park brake sensor by testing for continuity with multimeter. When the park brake is engaged there is continuity between the connector the metal flap above (as expected). When the park brake is disengaged the metal flap pushes down the spring and brakes the connector circuit. In that state, there is no continuity with the ignition off, but there is continuity when the ignition is turned on (illustrated on the attached picture).

Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 15.27.49 (1).png

Could that be the reason the brake light stays on? Does it indicate an electrical issue?

When the switch brass coloured plate is touching the other metal it effectively shorts to ground as the handbrake metal structure is bolted to car body which is ground from what I can see. This will then illuminate dash light.

So it looks as though in the right picture when you switch ignition on something in the circuit is shorting the brass plate wire to ground other than when the plates are touching causing your light to remain lit.

So yes looks like electrical issue, may have to trace wires back to find problem.