What's new

Passenger side headlight condensation

Mr CL7

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 petrol CL7
Chaps,

I have noticed recently that my passenger side headlight has alot of condensation building up and is getting worse. I installed my HID's in 2008 and have not had a problem since. I am a little concerned as to why this is happening now?

A recall was done in 08 to attach metal clips to the headlights as the glue used to seal surround was cracking and was a common problem, and as i am aware, some members on this forum have had a similar issue. If you haven't checked this it may be worth your while to ring the honda head office and provide them your car reg and they can tell you there and then if anything requires replacing for 'free' if it is a recall issue.

I spoke to CJ a few days ago and he suggested i remove the headlight(s) and dry them inside out with a hair dryer on low level heat. The silica gel bags may have also become perished i.e wet and may also require replacing. Lastly he said to seal up all the holes to prevent any moisture getting in.

Now this might seem a dumb question CJ BUT after talking with CJ i had a looksy on various US forums that have had the same problems, and they have placed the headlight in the oven and baked it then resealead it again. CJ, is this what you were trying to explain to me? Sorry buddy :unsure: It doesn't seem very safe, or is it? Last thing i want is a jelly structure headlight.

Thanks,

Faz

hey faz, there have been issues with people fitting the clips and getting problems later...maybe because no clips are fitted to the bottom? but anyway i was always sceptical as to how the clips would help. Also have you cleaned the engine bay with water?

By design a headlamp isn't a fully sealed system there will always be moisture inside for example when you change light bulbs you're letting moisture in...to make it moisture free it needs to have a vacuum or filled with something inert rather than air like youre double glazed windows. To an extend all headlights will have condensation..just depends on what extent. If anything all the headlights I've messed with have actually had some form of ventilation hole or hose.

When in operation the headlight should be able to take out the moisture and for this to happen it must be able to go somewhere(think the left right alignment screw maybe?), I've not taken a light out from the Accord to see the bottom. The issue i think is if you're noticeing a lot of condensation then, it must be more moisture than is carried by the air...either water has managed to seeped in and can't be extracted by the usual heat the headlight scenario and has to be dried out manually (as what CJ suggested i think).....putting the light in the oven is fine just don't go crazy with the temp....this will help dry it out but you need to find the cause

.....have you noticed the amount of condensation increasing? in which case water is getting in somehow and you need to find where...has the engine bay been washed? is there any dirt around the casing of the headlight which might be wicking water into it? are the wires orientated downwards so as to prevent water finding it's way in through the seals are the rubber seals for the light covers ok?

If you do take the headlight off maybe worth running some silicone sealant around the edge where the clear headlight lens attaches to the case in case some sealant has been displaced

I remember seeing something on the Prelude forum regarding putting your headlights in the oven.

IIRC it was to melt the glue so they could be disassembled and the lense cleaned/polished because they end up getting chipped and scratched on the Ludes.

So it's probably not a good idea to stick em in the oven to dry, as CJ said the hairdryer should suffice.

Just an update folks. I woke up for work at 6am this morning and there was a fair amount of condensation with water droplets inside the headlight. Come 12pm lunchtime i went to look at the headlight as the car was facing the direction of the sun and nearly 90% of the condensation had evaporated, then it started raining and the condensation came back, so i am ***uming there must be a gaping hole somewhere for this to happen.

I will be removing the headlight next weekend and doing some observations. Will keep you lot posted.

Cheers

Faz

Have just got my Accord, a 03 Tourer Exec Auto with just 22k miles, and the headlights are suffering the condensation problem. Can anyone give me a quick idea of how to remove the headlights to dry them out or would it be just as easy to use a hairdrier on the outside and force the condensation out that way.

To be honest with you mate. I tried the hair dryer method and it does not work, even on a warm sunny day.
Hair dryer from the outside will not work.

There is a video on you tube i looked at and used to remove my headlight and part of the bumper.. Took me 30 mins which isnt bad. Punch in TSX headlight removal and it shows you how to remove. Let me know how you get on.

If your interested in headlights i can supply mirror 100%
copies for a more reasonable price compared to the OEM dealership prices. I will be installing mine today

Cheers

Faz

Guys i have successfully installed my headlight today and it is a 100% perfect fit :lol:

See pictures which show my OEM headlight and the copy for your reference if you do wish to purchase these from me.

IMG_0001-7.jpg

IMG_0002-6.jpg

IMG_0003-6.jpg

IMG_0004-3.jpg

IMG_0005-6.jpg

IMG_0006-5.jpg

IMG_0007-10.jpg

IMG_0008-6.jpg

IMG_0009-8.jpg

IMG_0010-9.jpg

IMG_0011-8.jpg

IMG_0012-10.jpg

IMG_0013-7.jpg

Gents, I have worked in plastics production for a company that made parts for Aston Martin (they have pressed fibre glass wings on the DB9 believe it or not) Jaguar, Vauxhall, Isuzu, Range Rover and many more. The headlamp, if it has a little moisture inside, will steam up when it is cold and clear when it warms up, try putting a little water in a jar, put the lid on and leave it outside after warming it. Vapour will not show, but cool it down and the vapour condenses on the cold surface, which is what you see.
Point is, polycarbonate has a melting point of 300 degrees C, so by removing the bulbs and placing in an oven at 80 C will be perfectly safe, let it cool in a dry place, replace the bulbs and if you think the sealant is faulty, run a line of Sikaflex Marine Sealant/Adhesive around the edge. Sikaflex is polyurathane and is totally flexible, waterproof immediately and guaranteed for 30 years. Do not use silicone, it's only good for window frames. You will find Sikaflex at a marine chandlery store on line, about £11.00 for a 300 mil tube, by the way, it's used to glue cars together too! That's how they got rid of spot weld corrosion on most makes.

We use that company's products to glue radiators to walls..mixed results, but then not really a designed in use I suppose :lol:.

Being polyurethane it wont stick to polyethylene which is what most plastic bags and for that matter the dispenser nozzle are made from, some wallpapers such as super fresco are polyethylene coated, that's what makes them washable, that might be your 'mixed results' mate.

Nah mate, the mixed results are because the adhesive does not penetrate all the way through the plaster and paint; therefore the strength is only as good as the adherence between the latter. When you've got 40 - 60 kilos of steel rad hanging from three points it is not surprising.

It is only done where damp proofers have been in and then don't let you drill the wall.