What's new

power steering leak, car needs power steering pump replacement hose feed

Clouds23

Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi, I have a 2005 Accord 2.4 litre petrol EX automatic. In the last few weeks, I have had to keep topping up the power steering reservoir, which was becoming quite expensive as only Honda main dealer supply the fluid and its £15 a litre! I have looked in the engine bay and there is a leak on the power steering hose, the one that has a tee, which connects onto the pressure switch. I have got a quote from the main dealer and its £240 plus VAT for the part! The part number is 53713-SDA-Q02 and I tried ebay for a Chinese copy and brought one for £30. I took it into my local garage and the mechanic said this part does not have a tee to screw the pressure switch? He said he can still fit the part but the pressure switch won't work.

Quite bummed out now, not sure what I can do? Can I drive the car with the pressure switch disconnected? I wouldn't want the engine working harder if the pressure switch doesn't work and really wouldn't mind if I have to put in more effort turning the wheel when its parked.

Many high pressure hose companies (Google) can make new cheap hose but they want old one to use original metal parts.

Update: I went into my local main Honda dealer again today, ranting and stomping and I was told that the diesel Accord does not have a pressure switch, only the petrol Accords do. I made a right fuss about how their part numbers are the same for both the high pressure hose even though the petrol one has a tee on there for the pressure switch and they apologised and as a gesture of good will offered me free labour if I buy the part from them. Well no way no how am I going to spend a ludicrous amount for the part via the main dealer so looked up on Ebay and found this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-STEERING-PAS-PRESSURE-HOSE-PIPE-FOR-HONDA-ACCORD-PETROL-2-0-2-4-L/251892996537?epid=1068465287&hash=item3aa5fe19b9:g:tiEAAOSwAPlXhM3j

Taa daa, it has the tee to screw on the pressure switch!

I also test drove a 2009 s2000 while at the main dealer, and wow, it felt like a go kart! A lot more fun to drive compared to my Accord