What's new

Power surge @ 4-5000 rpm

Accords

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 CM2
Hi Guys and gals,been a while now but things all going good with my 2.4 type s, apart from an intermittent power serge about 4-5k. It only happens at high speed in a higher gear, not 1st or second. It seam as though its lacking power and then the full bhp kicks in. No light on and runs like a dream when driving it normally. I have spent lots on the engine with a different problem including new cam chain, sparks, injectors checked and now regular servicing with 0-30 oil. I even fitted a second hand fuel pump and still have this problem. The car has always has had this issue but I have lived with it. But now have some time off work and will try to get to the bottom of it. Any help will be great.

not at 4k you wa*er

Vtec still kicks in at 6-7k the power loss or serge is befor that.

No mate it seems as though its only got 150 bhp then the full bhp kicks in. It never had a great service history and every time I have changed the oil its been very dark. My thinking is to clean the vtec control valve and replace the gasket

Hmmm.. It's a weird one, it could be a number of things as you say. What about the fuel filter? As I understand it they only need changing on the petrol accords when trouble arises rather than a fixed mileage. I had a similar issue to the one described on my old prelude after removing a vtec controller. Turned out to be throttle position sensor,
There's certainly no harm in servicing the solenoid regardless.

Hi mate yes the fuel filter was replaced for new one and then the one on the replacement fuel pump so I know its not that. Will service the solenoid and go from there. Then have a look at throttle position sensor.

No mate haven't had the time to look into it yet.

So now that I had some time to spend on my car, I gave it a service and also cleaned out the throttle body. I was a bit clogged up so gave it a good clean with body cleaner and rags. I can now report that my car is back fighting fit. On cold mornings there is no rough start and mid power no surge in power because the power is there all the way to vetc. I also added a little oil both sides of the control flap. I cant believe how much difference a little cleaning can make. Will be doing this every service from now.

Torque software or honda hds
With torque and hds you can log driving data with torque you can see live data as driving and record bhp.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

If clogging is causing you this kind of problems you can solve them withouth remove the TB every service.
In your case i would put one or two oil catch can's on one or both oil breather pipes ( one from valve cover and the other from the engine block ) in that way you will avoid that oil vapours can get in the intake and with that you will remove the factor which is creating deposits in the whole intake.
The temperature difference between the oil vapours/hot and the air intake system/cold in most cases is big so with that there are "optimal" conditions which are causing that the vapours are condensing on the walls of the intake system, with time because of warming up, coling down the engine and air flow this becomes like oil "sludge" .

In my opinion is far better remove the oil from the cans than every time remove the TB

Poslano z mojega SM-N910C z uporabo Tapatalk