What's new

pre facelift diesel fuel filter

David Jackson

Members
Reaction score
Car
Acc. Tourer I-CDTI
I think I may have a totally different car to all you other guys out there because I changed my fuel filter without all the hassle I've read about or maybe it's because I've got long fingers. This is how I did it
remove top engine cover - pull throttle cable from holders and tie to windscreen wiper - remove throttle cable bracket - remove rubber bulb cover - remove bulb from holder, disconnect right hand fuel pipe from bulb and fasten the bulb and pipe out of the way pointing upward so as not to loose too much fuel - remove bulb bracket - disconnect both fuel pipes from filter and tie up out of way - remove left hand 10 mm bolt from side of filter bracket (not necessary but helps) - pull filter and bracket forward to reveal rear 10mm bolt - remove bolt and lift filter out - reverse to replace. Tools used, pliers for fuel pipe pinch clips, 3/8 drive rachet, 10mm socket, short extension with wobble end, 10mm cranked combi spanner. Did not remove anything but as described. Forgot to mention been at this game for 50 years so learnt to look for easy option. Only problem I've had was air in the system, took me a week to find the cause - the bleed screw on the top of the filter had a spring washer instaed of a copper sealing washer, did not expect that on a new filter, will remember to check next time. Apart from changing the rear disc pads this full service is the only thing I've had to do in 1 year of ownership, had one other service done by local garage.

David..
thats for this! I will try it out very soon as its now been 40k since i did my fuel filter.