What's new

Problems with honda accord CL7 K20Z2 engine

Radu

Members
Reaction score
Car
cl7 2
Hello,

I'm confronted with a rather strange problem related to starting and running the engine at a facelift cl7 with a K20Z2.
The problem is that the engine starts but does not stay running for more than 15-20 seconds. The problem suddenly occurred without having any symptoms in advance.

The detailed mode in which it manifests itself:

The first start after the car has spent some time:
- I put the key in contact, rotate it to position 2, wait for 2 seconds, the gasoline pump sounds as it starts and stops, turn the key for engine to start and starts the engine without any problems and without any error or warning in the board
- After running for about 15-20 seconds, going round and without any other hiccups, it stops alone, completely and without any error (except for the VSA / ABS display that normally comes on every time the engine does not stop at the key and suddenly stops due to an inappropriate clutching)

Hot start after the engine ran those 20 seconds:
- If I try to start it immediately, it does not start, not even try, it rotates empty
- If I wait 2 minutes, it starts at immediately, but the running time is more limited and that is about 5-10 seconds, all ending and functioning as in the above description, normal operation.
- It happened to remain the contact after such a stop, while I was watching the engine, it stayed like this for about 3-4 minutes. Even if I turned the key back and tried to restart it, it did not. I had to wait for the 2 minutes with the key in 0 position in contact and then twist it, the engine started again for 5-10 seconds.

I mention that during operating time, pressing the accelerator pedal, the engine reacts correctly and without hesitation.
I also mention that even if I keep the pedal pressed to around 3000 RPM, it manages to stop in the same manner as if you had the contact key rotated to 0, but without doing it or seeing any sign on the board.

Has anyone ever faced this problem? Should I be able to solve something or should I take it to a service with a platform for a more thorough ****ysis?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

The 6th gen Accord had issues with ignition just switching off and it was down to an electrical contact switch on the back of the ignition, I wonder if it could be something similar?

I'm thinking a failed fuel pump or contaminated fuel, though without more detail it is difficult to pinpoint the true reason.

Has the o/p sniffed the exhaust shortly after starting, or checked the colour of the plugs ?

Hello everyone, I come with good news. Today, being a nice day, I said to try again. And I managed to make it work.

Steps you execute, but without saying what was the right one:

1. I removed the battery and I left it for 30 minutes without it. I take it to my house to check it on the battery charger (somebody told me). It was ok, it looks 12.5V, I left it up to 13.1V on the charger and I removed it. It was fast on the line.
2. After installing the battery, I took all the vacuum hoses to see if were cracked. I checked them by pressing almost the entire length (I dropped the injector cover). I did not see anything special, they were soft and not plasticized.
3. I started the engine with the foot on the throttle to the bottom and held it for about 10 seconds, did not die, then I left it at 3000, where it usually died ... and this time it did not do it .
4. I left it on at idle for about 30 minutes, no problem ...
5. I pressed time to time the acceleration pedal to see how it's going and how returns and everything was fine... ...

I know there are some vague explanations, but maybe any of them is related to the problem ...

Thank you again for your collegiality and interest.

The problem was the ECU. AC was condensing water over it and in time this corrosion went into the ECU, doing some shortcuts and altering the circuits.
Problem has been solved:
Cleaning the circuits, recovering the oxidized ones and protecting the ECU for moisture.
At the same time I ordered 37823 RBA 300 which should arrive next week and contain the ECU from moisture.