What's new

Quick question about track rod end

Abid

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord mk7 & mk8 2.0
hi all,
I have an 03 2.4 type S, had the car checked by a garage whilst getting my clutch & brake fluid changed, he said my passenger side track rod end has a lot of play, so I was going to get a new one, just needed to ask do I have to replace them in pairs both sides?, and also are the lemforder ones ok from euro car parts, and once fitted im guessing I will need to get tracking done aswell?
thanks for any help & advice

I've got the Lemforder ones from Euros on mine. Can't comment on longevity as I just put them on last month, but seem well made.

You can do just the one if you need to.
I use a vernier caliper to measure the amount of thread showing beyond the locknut once the TRE's removed, and install the new one to the same depth.

Afterwards you'll need to set the tracking.
I do mine myself by driving the car up on ramps, using two straight edges and a tape measure.

Count the rotations required to remove the old and spin the new one on with the same rotations. ***uming the bad rod hasn't caused distress elsewhere to throw your geometry out you should be ok. you can replace one side but it often means the other won't be far behind.

Lemforder are fine, I've used droplinks and rods in the past without issue.

cheers guys that's some good advice, im due 2 front tyres soon so ill get the track rod ends done before hand and then tracking after my new tyres

i also use the term tracking very loosely. Find somewhere that does 4 wheel laser alignment. Tracking could mean a cross eyed old chap with a spanner and a piece of string...

Nothing wrong with that provided he's good at it and gets the desired result.

I've seen people set up cars for Motorsport with string and get great results, but I'd be lost without a couple of big straightedges. My eyesight's far too bad!

I've got a tourer anyway, not much to set up on one of them as it just has radius arms out back.

Very little we can do with accords anyway, unless we go buying adjustable arm kits for them.

Goodluckmonkey said:
I've seen people set up cars for Motorsport with string and get great results, but I'd be lost without a couple of big straightedges. My eyesight's far too bad!

I've got a tourer anyway, not much to set up on one of them as it just has radius arms out back.

Very little we can do with accords anyway, unless we go buying adjustable arm kits for them.
yes that's true we cant do much unless we have adjustable cambers, I was speaking with the tracking place I plan too go to he was saying they will be able to do the rear wheel tracking aswell if the heel and toe can be adjusted, and said that tracking and 4 wheel alignment is the same thing?, they use the Bluetooth tracking system not sure what that is

setting TOE with string is actually fine if your rear axle is straight. That's what most laser machine use as a reference point. Do it at home , do it FREE. Check youtube