What's new

Radiator Change 7th gen diesel

Dave04

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Diesel
After having my radiator broken by a Honda garage http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/9724-radiator/ and getting no where with getting them to sort it out I decided to change it myself so made a short guide on changing the radiator just in case anyone might need it, it was actually a real easy job and took less than 2 hours. i didnt get that many pictures because it started to rain so just wanted to get the job finished.

I first put the car on stands and drained the system following this thread > http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/6409-diy-7th-gen-diesel-coolant-change/
IMG-20121013-00098.jpg

Unplug all the plugs that attach to the fans, two on the left, one at the top on the right and at the bottom near the right there is one more for what seems to be a temperature sensor.
IMG-20121013-00099.jpg

IMG-20121013-00100.jpg

The strip of plastic that covers the front grille needs to be removed to get access to the 2 bolts that hold the radiator in place, undo these and move the brackets out of the way. Unplug all the hoses that go into the radiator the 2 at the top and one at the bottom. I found it easier to remove the bottom hose from the engine 1st then move it onto the new radiator. The expansion tank needs to be removed as well.
IMG-20121013-00101.jpg

The radiator then just lifts straight out of the top. Four bolts on each fan holds the fan to the radiator undo these and move the fans to the new rad. The sensor needs to be moved to the new radiator as well, it’s easy enough just need a socket big enough to undo it.
IMG-20121013-00102.jpg

Refit is just the opposite of removal, refill the radiator and bleed the system. I just let it idle whilst I put the rest of the car back together then took it for a short drive and checked for leaks.

New radiator in and all working fine.
IMG-20121013-00103.jpg

Hopefully that was all written clear enough, it was as easy as doing a full service.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to write this up!

For interest, where did you buy the replacement rad and how much was it?

Thanks, I brought it from carparts4less.co.uk it was £180, cheapest i could find at the time.

Nice job Dave.

Nice writeup pal, will be usefull for users wanting to do this.

Nice dude, did check your levels again after the spin, and also did you hear lots of gurgling during the spin?

Nice dude, did check your levels again after the spin, and also did you hear lots of gurgling during the spin?

Yes i did check the levels, i didnt bleed it like i should have done after fitting it but i had meet a mate in town in the afternoon so just used that drive to bleed it all through and checked it after the drive in. didnt hear any noise but did notice i didnt have any heating for about 15mins then suddenly got a face full of red hot air lol I can only ***ume that there must have been trapped air somewhere.