What's new

Radiator refil Now Airlock

chesjak

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord I-ctdi
Hi
I have just renewed the radiator fluid and now find there is some sort of airlock so consequently not filled properly.
I haven't put in anywhere near the amount required.

I have had the heating on high and run the engine but still the water in the reservoir hasen't dropped in level and of course the heater doesn't get warm.

I have done this a number of times but never had this before. Have I forgotten to do something obvious???

What colour did the old stuff come out in (just in case you might have a large lump of rusty sludge left in the pipes )
How often do you carry out the drain/refill ?

A few threads back there was a suggestion of a hidden 'secret' airlock release near the exhaust, though I have not had a chance to check (poor matrix heating ) - been far too wet to get underneath with spanners.

The other hints were to park up on an incline to let the coolant fill voids it might not reach normally, or to open the radiator cap whilst hot to let the gases blow out, but wear a fire glove and some thick towels on the upper arm (or get a friend to do it).

Thanks for that guys.

Success!! - I came out this morning and the fluid had all settled down and I was able to fill up without any problems.

Must have been a stubborn air lock as I replace the fluid each year and it always comes out clean so no possibility of gung to block the pipes etc.

Thanks again