What's new

Rain Sensor needs reset?

rmg3gvc

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord EX
My 2009 Accord EX had some minor bodywork repairs recently, during which the battery must have been disconnected as the radio code needed entering. Ever since then, the rain-sensing wipers have not operated correctly, just functioning as simple intermittent wipers. Is it likely that disconnecting the battery could have upset the rain sensor in some way and, if so, how can it be reset?

My 2009 Accord EX had some minor bodywork repairs recently, during which the battery must have been disconnected as the radio code needed entering. Ever since then, the rain-sensing wipers have not operated correctly, just functioning as simple intermittent wipers. Is it likely that disconnecting the battery could have upset the rain sensor in some way and, if so, how can it be reset?
Welcome to TA Richard iv disconnected my battery a few times and had no issues.
What setting is the sensitivity on and have you tried different settings.

Welcome to TA Richard iv disconnected my battery a few times and had no issues.
What setting is the sensitivity on and have you tried different settings.
Thanks for the welcome and quick reply, Brett. Yes, I've tried altering the sensitivity throughout the range without any result. In the past I have been a bit rude about the sometimes quirky operation of the automatic wipers but now, after a 3 hour drive in variable rain and road conditions at the weekend, all is forgiven and I'd really like the system to work again! I saw a comment elsewhere about disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU as a possible solution to a rain-sensor malfunction, which is what prompted me to think that it has been since my battery was disconnected that the wipers have not worked properly. Maybe I should try another disconnect to see what happens?

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply, Brett. Yes, I've tried altering the sensitivity throughout the range without any result. In the past I have been a bit rude about the sometimes quirky operation of the automatic wipers but now, after a 3 hour drive in variable rain and road conditions at the weekend, all is forgiven and I'd really like the system to work again! I saw a comment elsewhere about disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU as a possible solution to a rain-sensor malfunction, which is what prompted me to think that it has been since my battery was disconnected that the wipers have not worked properly. Maybe I should try another disconnect to see what happens?
Yep this would be my 1st thing to do.If this dont work the sensor on the inside of the windscreen might have been knocked when the body work was done.
There is a tread hear somewhere on the 7th gen a new windscreen was fitted ant the sensor was playing up.
Hope this helps a little.

Can't imagine why they would have knocked the rain sensor when working in the rear bumper area but I'll check it out! If that is not the answer I'll try the battery trick & report back.

PS

Here's another mention of battery disconnection from elsewhere:

"I've had this same problem on my '09 Accord. Rain sensor stopped working and the car switched to interval.

The sensor did not appear to be faulty. It was not a faulty fuse either.

The solution was to take out the multiplexor control unit and leave it disconnected for a while. After reconnecting it all worked like new.

Hope this helps for you as well... Good luck!
Maybe disconnecting the battery over night will also help..."

Yep this would be my 1st thing to do.If this dont work the sensor on the inside of the windscreen might have been knocked when the body work was done.
There is a tread hear somewhere on the 7th gen a new windscreen was fitted ant the sensor was playing up.
Hope this helps a little.

OK, Brett, preliminary results suggest that this has worked. I have not yet tested it under real rain conditions but it does seem to be OK when my son leans out of the windows and squirts water onto the screen!

All I have done is to wait until the weekend to disconnect the battery overnight, re-connect, wait for the GPS to find its satellites, enter the radio code then persuade my son to be the rain maker.

Thanks for your encouragement and to the guy who suggested this approach (on another forum ;-( ). Maybe this will be of help to others in the future.

Good feedback fella and glad its sorted.